Skip to main content

New Hampshire State Driver's License

Information for International Students, Scholars, and Faculty

If you are a nonimmigrant (F, J, H-1B, etc.) living in New Hampshire and you plan to drive a car, you will need to apply for a state driver's license within 60 days of establishing residency in the State. An International Driver's License will be valid for up to 60 days, as will certain foreign or out-of-state licenses recognized by the State of New Hampshire. After 60 days, you need to apply for a state license. If you live in Vermont you may access Vermont's driver's licensing information at

New Hampshire State licensing requirements can be found online at the following links:

For most non-U.S. citizens, the State of New Hampshire requires vision, written, and driving tests. Citizens of Canada holding a valid license from their home country may be exempt from the road test requirement. You may write the department at the address listed below for a copy of the driver's test manual to aid in studying for the exams. The manual is also available online in Adobe format at:

All Drivers' License Applications Must Be Made at the Concord Office

All drivers' license applications for non-U.S. citizen, non U.S. permanent-resident or asylees, MUST be made at the Concord office at the following address:

State of New Hampshire - Department of Safety
Division of Motor Vehicles
Non-U.S. Citizen Driver Licensing Office
23 Hazen Dr.
Concord, NH 03305
(603) 227-4020
(603) 271-0307 (Fax)

The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. If you are required to take the driving test, you must be accompanied by a New Hampshire-licensed driver. The car you use for the driving test must be registered in New Hampshire. If English is your second language, you may bring someone with you to translate the written test.

Driving Directions to Concord, New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles

Take Route 89 South to Concord. Take the last exit on Route 89 and head north on Route 93. Take Exit 14 for the State Offices. Turn right at the end of the exit ramp. Drive over the bridge, through two sets of traffic lights, and go up a short hill. At the top of the hill at another stoplight, turn left into the State Offices complex. Continue for approximately a quarter-mile and watch for signs for the Dept. of Motor Vehicles—the office will be on your left.

Click here for a Google map from the Office of Visa and Immigration Services at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH to the DMV office at 10 Hazen Drive in Concord, NH.

Any non-U.S. citizens who have never held a driver's license in their home country or in the U.S. are required to complete an approved driver education course. A sampling of local commercial driving schools is available online, here:

Social Security Number Requirement and OVIS DMV Letters

All applicants must show EITHER proof of having a U.S. Social Security number, OR a letter from the Social Security Office certifying ineligibility for a U.S. Social Security number due to nonimmigrant status. In addition, you will need a letter of support from our office. You can request this letter online via iDartmouth (user guide), General Request - Request a Driver's License Application Support Letter.

License Renewals

If you are extending your program at Dartmouth College, and wish to renew your license, please request a letter of support for your driver's license renewal from the Office of Visa and Immigration Services. You can request this letter online via iDartmouth (user guide), General Request - Request a Driver's License Application Support Letter.

Please note that the NH DMV will no longer grant license renewals for the purpose of your thirty-day (J-1) or sixty-day (F-1) grace period.

Take the letter of support, your passport, I-94 card or I-94 print-out (see and I-20 form (F-1 students), DS-2019 form (J-1 exchange visitors), or I-797 form (H-1B workers), and your expiring license to the DMV office in Concord. They will renew your license the same day.

Last Updated: 5/17/17