Skip to main content

J-1 Employment Options

J-1 exchange visitors have several options available concerning employment. J-1 student interns are allowed to work on campus at Dartmouth College if this employment is a defined part of the Training Plan. There are two categories of employment available to J-1 degree and non-degree students. One is student employment and the other is academic training. Please click on this link for more information on Academic Training:

J-1 Student Employment

Students must be in good academic standing, be enrolled in a full course of study (while allowing for holidays and breaks), and must work no more than 20 hours per week (40 hours per week during official school breaks and the student's annual vacation term). The student may apply for a letter of employment authorization from the Office of Visa and Immigration Services before beginning the employment.

There are three types of student employment available to J-1 students:

  • Type 1: Employment required by a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship. This employment occurs on campus, and is paid by Dartmouth. In certain circumstances, however, the work can be done elsewhere, for a different employer. You might work in a government or private research laboratory, for example, if your major professor had a joint appointment there, and would be supervising you in work that would count toward your degree.
  • Type 2: On-campus jobs unrelated to study. The regulations allow for jobs on campus that are unrelated to study, and they stipulate only that the work be done on the premises of the school. That means that you are permitted to work for on-campus contractors such as food services or bookstores.
  • Type 3: Off-campus jobs necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since your arrival in the United States as an Exchange Visitor, or since your change, inside the country, to J-1 status.

J-1 Professors, and Research Scholars: Outside Employment

An individual in one of these exchange visitor categories is allowed only the specific employment noted on the current DS-2019 issued by the sponsoring program. Occasional lectures or consultations done for an outside institution or company, which are directly related to the objectives of the program may be accepted for compensation, if the visitor acts in the capacity of an independent contractor. They must be incidental to the primary exchange activities, and in no way delay completion of the program. (Sec. 514.20(g)). Note that J-1 scholars authorized by the sponsor for one time lectures or consultations must be paid as a contractor - not as an employee (8 CFR 274(a)(1)(j)).

To obtain authorization to engage in occasional lectures or short-term consultations for compensation the exchange visitor must first present to the Responsible Officer:

  • A letter from the prospective employer setting forth the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of such activity.
  • A letter from his or her department head or supervisor recommending such activity and explaining how it would enhance the exchange visitor's program.

The Responsible Officer shall review these letters and make a written determination whether such activity satisfies the criteria set forth in the applicable regulations.

To prevent a loss of your legal exchange visitor status, please contact the Office of Visa and Immigration Services before accepting any employment.


Last Updated: 7/25/18