Skip to main content

F-1 Transfers

Transfers In to Dartmouth College

If you are currently attending a U.S. high school or another college or university in the United States, you will need to transfer your F-1 SEVIS record to Dartmouth. Please let your current international student advisor that you are admitted to Dartmouth and would like to transfer your SEVIS record to Dartmouth. You will work with your advisor to determine the transfer release date: the date that your F-1 record in the SEVIS system will be transferred to Dartmouth.

F-1 Transfer Eligibility

You must be:

  • Mainintaing valid F-1 status in the U.S. as an active, enrolled student or in a valid period of F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT); and,
  • The program start date at Dartmouth must be within 5 months of your current program end date, or prior to the expiration of your OPT

Incoming Transfer Process

When OVIS receives notification of your admission to Dartmouth, we will work with you to issue an I-20 form.

To begin the process:

  1. Click this link
  2. Complete your assigned eForm group, including the Transfer-In Request eForm.
  3. Upload all requested documents

Once your submission is complete, OVIS will process the Form I-20 in the SEVIS system.

It is important that your OVIS Advisor knows your international travel plans. International travel, even to Canada, may change the process for your transfer.

  1. In-country: If you are remaining in the United States, we will send you a new transfer I-20 form. You do not need to depart the United States to obtain a new visa stamp.
  2. Out-of-country: If you will be traveling outside the United States before you come to Dartmouth, we will send you the transfer I-20 form to the address you provide. If you have been accepted to Dartmouth College and are in the United States in another visa status, please contact OVIS as soon as possible.

Transfers Out from Dartmouth College

If you are currently an F-1 student attending Dartmouth College, or are in a period of post-completion OPT, and have applied and been accepted to another institution within the United States, you may be able to transfer your SEVIS record and Form I-20 to the new program. This is a completely separate procedure from the academic transfer you may have to go through. Your SEVIS record will be released to your new school on a mutually agreed upon Transfer Release Date. Your new school will complete the F-1 transfer in SEVIS, issue you a new Form I-20, and inform you of the procedures you must follow in order to maintain your legal F-1 student status.

Note that your on-campus employment benefit at Dartmouth ends on the program end date on your Dartmouth Form I-20. If you wish to work at Dartmouth after the program end date and prior to your transfer, you must obtain post-completion Optional Practical Training and the work must be related to your degree.

To request a transfer of your SEVIS record to another institution, you must log into iDartmouth and complete the Transfer Request eForm. You will be asked to enter contact information for the advisor at the transfer-in institution so that person can confirm the transfer and the transfer release date of your record.

Last Updated: 5/4/18