Packing Your Records
- Use Records Management boxes only. It is important that only these boxes (which will have Records Management Box ID bar codes already applied) be used.
- Pack only one type of record (record series) in each box. If you have any questions about how best to separate your material, contact Records Management. Keeping the material separate allows material to be disposed based upon record series retention policies.
- Pack material facing the front of the box. The front of the box is the smaller end with the bar code affixed to it. Files should be readable when viewed from this end.
- Do not send Pendaflex hanging folders. Hanging folders eventually destroy the box, often within the first year of storage. If you must include Pendaflex, pack the files lengthwise in the box to avoid them hanging on the cardboard edges.
- Do not put any markings on the box. Records Management is a secure facility. Boxes have no labels other than the computer numbers assigned. Any writings you put on the box must be taped over. This is done so that in the event of a security breach no material could be found by browsing the labels on the boxes.
If you have any questions on these packing guidelines, contact Records Management.