Cool at Rauner: A Year of Blogging Special Collections
On September 11, 2009, we posted our first entry on the "Cool at Rauner" blog. "A Beat Classic at 50" delved into the complicated printing history of the two "first" editions of William Burrough's Naked Lunch. Since then, we have posted 100 entries highlighting new acquisitions, fresh discoveries and old favorites.
Usually, online exhibits follow physical exhibitions, but in this case we thought we would reverse the trend and create a physical exhibit based on some of our favorite blog entries.
Visit the Rauner blog at raunerlibrary.blogspot.com for lots more, and remember, everything you see on the blog is available for closer inspection in the Rauner Rooke Reading Room downstairs - even the penguin. For the digital counterpart to this exhibit, we provide a list of call numbers and a link to the original blog entry for each item.
The exhibit was curated by the Rauner blog and assembled by Joshua Shaw and Jay Satterfield. It will be on display from September 1 through October 31, 2010 in the Class of 1965 Galleries.
Materials Included in the Exhibition
- Connecticut River Scroll Map. Blog entry.
- Guillaume de Lorris, [Roman de la Rose], Paris, ca. 1300-1325. Ms Codex 003206. Blog entry. Also available online.
- Photos of skijorning. See Winter Carnival Photo File. Blog entry.
- Stewart, Dorothy N. W. Shakespeare's Hamlet, Prince of Denmark / in block prints by D.N.S.. [Santa Fe, N.M. : Pictograph Press, c1949] Presses P588s. Blog entry.
- Pokagon, Simon. The Red Man's Rebuke. [Hartford, Mich., C. H. Engle, 1893]. Presses E58p. Blog entry.
- Töpffer, Rodolphe, and Timothy Crayon. The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck: Wherein Are Duly Set Forth the Crosses, Chagrins, Calamities, Checks, Chills, Changes, and Circumgirations, by Which His Courtship Was Attended : Showing Also the Issue of His Suit and His Espousal to His Ladye-Love. New York (No. 15 Spruce-Street, late 162 Nassau-Street): Wilson and Co, 1840. Rare Book NC1659.T58 A6213 1840z. The book has also been digitized and is available online.
- Veer, Gerrit . Vraye Description De Trois Voyages De Mer Tres Admirables, Faicts En Trois Ans, a Chacvn an Vn, Par Les Navires D' Hollande Et Źelande, Av Nord Par Derriere Norvvege, Moscovie, Et Tartarie, Vers Les Royaumes De China & Catay. Imprimé a Amstelredam: Par Cornille Nicolas, sur l'eaue, au livre a écrire, 1598. Stefansson G690 1594 .V35 1598. Blog entry.
- Allerslev, Kurt, Marshall Weber, Christopher Wilde, and Laura Smith. [vertebrae]. Brooklyn, NY: Artichoke Yink Press and Organik, 2009. Presses A778orve. Blog entry.
- Agrippa von Nettesheim, Heinrich Cornelius. Henrici Cornelii Agrippae ab Nettesheym à consiliis & archiuis inditiarii sacrae Caesareae maiestatis: de occvlta philosophia libri tres / Henricvs Cornelivs Agrippa. [Cologne] : [s.n.], 1533. Rare Book BF1598.A3 O4 1533. Blog entry.
- Orde-Lees, Thomas. [Diary, 1915 March 24-1916 April 16.] Stefansson MSS 185. Blog entry.
- Balzac, Honoré , Pablo Picasso, Paul A. Besnard, Marcel Bouteron, Ambroise Vollard, and Aimé Jourde. Le Chef-D'œuvre Inconnu: Eaux-fortes Originales Et Dessins Gravés Sur Bois De Pablo Picasso. Paris: Ambroise Vollard, éditeur, 1931. Rare Book PQ2163 .C4 1931. Blog entry.
- Johnston, William N. [Crib Sheet]. 1889. Realia 509. Blog entry.
- Bookplate collection. Ask at the desk. Blog entry.
- Hike the Appalachian Trail. Guide to the MacKaye family papers (ML-5). Blog entry.
- Sturt, John. The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church According to the Use of the Church of England Together with the Psalter or Psalms of David Pointed As They Are to Be Sung or Said in Churches. London: J. Sturt, 1717. Rare Book BX5145 .A4 1717a. Blog entry.
- Picart, J M, and Mario Jiménez. Album De La Revolución Cubana: 1952-1959. Habana: Revista Cinegráfico, 1960. Rare Book F1787.5 .P535 1960. Blog entry.