JMC Excellence Awards for Digital Media
The Jones Media Center would like to recognize student achievements in academic multimedia projects in the form of videos, audio recordings (not including music compositions), multimedia stories or travelogues, data visualizations, podcasts, websites, or other media content produced as part of academic research. We are now hosting our 1st Annual Excellence Awards in Digital Media! Please read details below and submit your work.
Submissions will be scored via rubric by a panel of judges. The judges will award a $500 Grand Prize as well as three other recognition awards in the amount of $150 each.
Rules and Regulations
- Submission is free and equipment necessary for the production can be checked out from the Jones Media Center with a valid Dartmouth library card or ID. All costs incurred in production are the sole responsibility of the respective participants.
- EXTENDED DEADLINE! Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis until May 23rd, 2018. To submit, (1) the media file or package of files must be provided to the Jones Media Center either via a download link emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “JMC Media Award Submission” or delivered in person on a USB or hard drive and (2) the entrant must complete an online registration. A confirmation will be sent when the entry is successfully submitted.
- Registering as early as possible is encouraged, but can be done until the submission deadline. Registered participants will be placed on an email list providing updates on workshops, feedback opportunities, and other forms of support for the projects.
- All submissions must be no longer than 10 minutes, inclusive of all title cards, credits, and the required Jones Media Center Award bumper (which will be sent via download link in the confirmation email.)
- All projects must be a digital media project created for any Dartmouth course, FSP, or research.
- At least one member of the production/submission team must be Dartmouth student, faculty, or staff enrolled in a credit-bearing course.
- Submissions must be able to be displayed or presented in the Jones Media Center.
- All necessary rights from media subjects must be secured, and clearance for use of copyright-protected content used in the final product must also be secured and documented. Please see Jones’ resource guide for copyright free music, images, and video.
- Submissions must be original work of the team, must not infringe on third parties rights, must be suitable for public screening, and cannot be obscene. They may not contain defamatory statements about any person, organization or entity, may not invade privacy or other rights of any person, organization, or entity. Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by the judging panel, at its sole discretion, will be disqualified.
- Production must not break any federal, state, or local laws, and must adhere to campus rules and policies.
- Submissions will be released to Jones to show in the Jones Media Center, on the Library YouTube channels and otherwise at the discretion of the Jones Media Center.
JMC Workshop Series
Brush up on your skills by taking one of our media production workshops. We offer workshops for students, faculty and staff throughout the term. We kick off the series in week two of the term by watching and discussion a variety of short videos, films, and commercials. Each week for the rest of the term we’ll offer a workshop on the whole process! From pre-production to picking the best equipment for the shoot, how to set up an on-camera interview to editing in iMovie or Final Cut Pro and more. For more information and to register go to the JMC Media Production Workshops Series page.
Borrow Our Equipment
Jones Media Center has an extensive equipment loan program. We have a wide range of video, audio, and photography equipment available for a 3-day check-out period. Professional equipment must be reserved at least 24 hours before the requested pick-up time. For more information go to the Equipment Loan Page.
Not only does JMC have equipment but we also have a fantastic studio space for you to set up your own shots or interviews. Consider using the Whisper Room to record your voiceover in quiet and private setting. To explore and reserve the various spaces in JMC visit our Spaces page. Booking in advance is strongly encouraged.
Quick Reference Tutorials
Our Quick Reference Tutorials provide step-by-step instructions for frequently asked technical questions. Each tutorial is no longer than two pages and are very handy for getting editing, scanning, downloading tasks done quickly and efficiently. Tutorials are available as PDF files on our website or grab a printed copy in the Center. Tutorials are available online at our Quick Reference Tutorials page.
Submit Your Work
Registration is FREE! If prompted please log into BWA with your Dartmouth credentials. Register here: http://dartgo.org/JMCAwardsRegistration
EXTENDED DEADLINE! Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis until May 23rd, 2018. To submit, (1) the media file or package of files must be provided to the Jones Media Center either via a download link emailed to email@example.com with the subject “JMC Media Award Submission” or delivered in person on a USB or hard drive and (2) the entrant must complete an online registration. A confirmation will be sent when the entry is successfully submitted.
If you have any questions please contact us at Jones.Media.Center@dartmouth.edu or call at 603-646-2165.