DCLSA Meeting Minutes - June 16, 2011
June DCLSA Board Meeting
June 16, 2011
May Meeting minutes approved by vote.
Program Committee – Goodie Corriveau
• Sept 1st – A tour of trees with the campus arborist, David DiBenedetto.
• May 4th – A lecture by gardening columnist, Henry Homeyer.
• Ideas welcome – talk with Goodie if you have ideas or talents you want to share.
Scholarship Committee – Danada Dinsmore (absent)
• No report.
Social Committee – Sarah Thompson
• The purpose of the Social Committee is to coordinate social events for library staff. Sarah co-leads the committee with Cheryl Wheelock.
• Events from the past year include ice cream at the Spring Meeting, the service awards, the Holiday party, EBAs luncheon, Halloween baskets, Valentine's Day card-making, and the Hanover Inn brunch.
Welfare Committee – Julie McIntyre
• There were 24 acknowledgements made this year, for births, weddings, deaths, surgeries and illnesses.
• Please let Julie know if you know of someone so we don't miss acknowledging events in staff lives.
Marketing Committee – Cheryl Wheelock
• The committee is led by Cheryl and Danelle Sims. The purpose is to "get the word out" about events happening for library staff using posters, Facebook, email and other means.
• Today we're advertising for help on committees, doing some of the things you just heard about. Sign-up sheets are in the back of the room to learn more (no commitment!).
• If you have ideas on how to get the word out, please share with us.
• The Web Committee has been passed from Marcia Pirone to Danelle and rolled into the Marketing Committee.
Craft Fair – Danelle Sims
• Last Fall's Craft Fair was a good year for the DCLSA fund raising, including a raffle, cake auction and the bake table. The income was $2500 less $600 of costs.
• This year's Craft Fair will be on the 18th of November, with monies raised going to fund the scholarship committee. The Craft Fair also helps support local crafts people, including many library staff and the College ceramic studio (faculty and students). We are changing the location to the Top of the Hop and Alumni Hall because there is construction scheduled on the Hanover Inn. Hopefully the Top of the Hop location will also improve visibility for the Craft Fair.
Archive Committee – Lynn Amber
• The Committee is led by Lynn and Danelle Sims, with the goal of trying to organize and improve the DCLSA historical holdings. Interested participants are welcome to join the committee.
Finance Committee –Jan Peltzer (absent)
• Report by David Sandberg: The Committee was formed recently to help improve the oversight of financial spending. Members this past year were Jan, Brenda Delaney and Lynn Amber.
• One point of discussion this year included codifying progression of membership.
Treasurer's Report – Peggy Sleeth (absent)
• Report by David Sandberg: The IRS changed their rules on exemptions for small organizations and as a result we needed to apply for tax-exempt status, which we did and got.
• Some time was taken this year to formalize the treasurer's roles and responsibilities and record them for future Treasurers.
Sarah J. Buckingham Award
• David saw a need to do more to recognize excellent service within the DCLSA. In answer to that, he created the Sarah J. Buckingham award, named for the Feldberg Librarian who died this past year. Selection for this year's award recipient will be later this year.
• David wrote, with contributions from other members of the DCLSA board, a newsletter to summarize the year's events and activities (attached).
• This spring we had a Member-at-Large position open up by the departure from the library of Colleen Frakes. Ilana Grallert will fill the position until it comes up for election.
The Meeting was then turned over to the new DCLSA President, Lynn Amber. She is looking forward to serving as President this year, especially because she is following Cheryl Wheelock, who greatly helped clarify roles in the DCLSA, and David Sandberg, who she thanked for his service this past year.
• Members-at-Large: Joe Montibello and Laurie Heath
• Recorder: Christine Simms
• Treasurer: Helen Bailey
• Vice President: vacant – we will seek new nominations for a future special election
• The DCLSA is co-sponsoring a Lunch & Learn with the Library Diversity Committee on June 29th. The speaker will be Christine Lilyquist, former curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, will speak on the Cairo Museum.