November 12, 2009 word file

Present

Cheryl Wheelock, Marilyn Milham, Barb Bushor, Danada Dinsmore, Colleen Frakes, Dave Sandberg, Joyce Thurston, Marianne Densmore, Karen MacPhee, Goodie Corriveau, Melissa Hutson (Recorder)

Old Business

  • October meeting minutes approved

Announcements

  • Diversity Committee: Kwanzaa celebration Dec. 14th, 2-4pm
    - Food and film

Marketing Committee

  • No news, Cheryl will check in with Michelle

Welfare Committee (Goodie for Julie McIntyre)

  • No activity since last meeting
  • Julie needs mailing, street address (if different), and home phone number in order to have items delivered
  • Liaisons need to provide this information

Programs (Goodie)

  • 11/11: Photography of Cuba with Virginia Beahan, had 16 participants
  • Next: Part 2 of Backstage at the HOP, still no date, hoping for it to happen during intersession

Scholarships (Danada)

  • 6 health, 1 academic, approx. $440 total

Treasurer's Report (Barb)

  • Dartmouth College account: $982.54; Service checking: $6,130.98; Service savings: $2,063.66; $9,177.18 total.
  • From October through today: -$17.46 postage; -$440 scholarships; -$25.00 craft fair deposit refund; +$750.00 craft fair deposits
  • DC account: funds run through fiscal year, this is money we receive from the library. If we leave anything in, at the end of the year it gets taken back
  • Service checking: money left over goes here.
  • Service savings: need both to have an account at Service Credit Union

Craft Fair (Marilyn)

  • Have volunteers for throughout the day
  • Sent out posters to departments
  • Received responses for items to fill the bake sale table
  • Put posters up all over town, still need to do Hanover Co-op, Dan & Whit's
  • Started D2U advertising today, there will be another next week
  • Valley News, WNNE TV, will put an ad in The D for the day before
  • Mandolin player (college employee) volunteered to play

Social Committee (Marianne)

  • Invite mandolin player to play at the Holiday Party?
  • It will be Dec. 17th 12-2 in the 1902 room
  • Calls into caterers: Stinsons, Lyme Country Store
    - Hot ham/roast beef, side dishes, appetizers, ask staff to bring desserts, etc.
  • Will do another hat/mitten drive along with food drive (both people and pet)
  • Retirees list from main office for invitations
  • Used to send invitations to new employees (started within the last year) to promote DCLSA
  • Electronic invite from DCLSA President

Spending Guideline: $100 per breakroom (continued from last meeting)

  • Do we want to have money set aside for this?
  • Do we need guidelines for how the money is used, or should we be more flexible?
  • We should have something on the webpage describing this fund, like we do for the scholarships and welfare
  • Not everyone attends DCLSA events, but everyone likes having a breakroom
  • Guidelines should be sent to liaisons so they know the money is there
  • Barb: the fund was originally set for maintenance (maintenance = appliances in main staff room, no food)
    - Originally, the yearly money was given to us on the condition that we maintained the Baker kitchen
    - If we no longer need to do this, then the guidelines for breakrooms may have changed
    - We don't buy supplies for Baker now
  • Should we save the money for things that are harder for staff to bring in from home? We have an opportunity now to change things
  • Cheryl: prefer to spend the fund on tangible items
  • Barb: it was originally never intended that the money would be spent every year
    - The whole staff voted it in, may want to ask staff if we open up guidelines
  • No record of past policy, that is why we need guidelines now
  • Barb: never written a check for over $100, never had anything submitted for over $100
  • Topic to be continued...

Additional minutes taken by David Sandberg:

Cheryl reported small changes in the accounting - 57 dollars for an artist was pulled out of welfare and put in program line. Cheryl removed 2006-2007 from the record.

Question about authenticating certain documents we do not want to widely share. Decide in a later meeting about this.

Will find out from Marcia Pirone whether individual docs can be protected. We will ask her and then decide if it is necessary to do this.