Barb Krieger, Goodie Corriveau, Danada Dinsmore, Pat Morris, Marianne Densmore, Lisa Ladd, Sylvia Wilcox, Joyce Thurston, Bill Ghezzi, Mina Rakhra, Karen MacPhee, Chris Curtis, Melissa Hutson(Recorder)
- Minutes of July 12, 2007 meeting formally approved.
- SCHOLARSHIP (Danada Dinsmore)
- Summer: 8 total; 7 athletic, 1 arts
- Fall: 3 total; 2 athletic, 1 educational
- Total of $560
- WELFARE (Goodie Corriveau)
- From July to the present: flowers were given for a wedding and a surgery, the Visiting Nurses Association of VT and NH was given a donation for a death, and a donation was given to a church for the death of a father-in-law.
- CRAFTS FAIR (Barb Krieger)
- Will occur on November 16th, there are 26 people signed up, will send out a request for assistance in the beginning of November.
- PROGRAM (Goodie Corriveau)
- The campus tour of new green construction had 12 participants and visited the Kemeny Hall/Haldeman Center, Fahey Hall (Tuck Mall residence hall), and the new dorms by the Med School.
- Next event: Thursday, October 11th at 11:30 Stephanie Wolff and Deborah Howe will give a talk on the book arts/conservation exhibit currently in the Baker Main Hall.
- Request made for possible Halloween ideas.
- SOCIAL (Lisa Ladd)
- Comments for the awards ceremony in September have all been positive. Happy with Co-op catering service.
- Discussion of Holiday Party: issues & ideas
-lighter fare or full meal? Brunch? Salads & appetizers?
-cocktail type party, not have people sitting at tables = encourage mingling
-1902 Room is only coded for 40 people, issues with Conferences & Events, use Novack as a possibility? What spaces can legally hold ~250 people?
-keep party simple since there are already so many parties
-no Holiday Party and instead do something some other time of year, i.e. cookies and cocoa right before vacation, then spend money on a Spring picnic or more on the Awards banquet
-Chris: hold a dessert contest (sign up in advance)
-Lisa: Committee will come up with a proposal, formal announcement (“Holiday Open House”) to other library departments to get input.
Future of the DCLSA discussion
- Goodie: loosen up the structure, less meetings
- Karen: do more emphasizing of staff, have info on new people, retires (fill out questionnaire), have employee profiles.
- Lisa: keep as an association?
- Danada: there is trouble filling slots, keeping people participating. Advantage of a committee: people are placed on a committee, eliminates elections, president, vice-president; instead have chair and co-chair.
- Lisa: association is good because we have an individual budget, instead of elections ask who wants to volunteer. Loosen structure, make it seem less intimidating.
- Danada: We would have an ex-officio member with a committee, would not lose budget.
- Lisa: Might be able to share resources more?
- Barb: Can we raise money for a committee?
- Bill: Get Laura Thompson to come to a meeting in a few months and answer questions, give info on the advantages/disadvantages of being a committee
- Lisa: Give new employees info on the variety of committees so that they know they can join.
- Barb: How much can we loosen the structure and still do what we do?
- Lisa: Ongoing dialog with Bob Campe: we can radically redesign our constitution then go back and revisit, or re-do constitution.
- Goodie: Would be nice to have 10-15 minutes of All Staff Meeting twice a year to give updates/make requests. Good idea to also utilize online voting.
- Lisa: Administration is willing to work with us.
- Danada: have an interactive website and a section just for the Board. Issues with permissions so that not everybody could put just anything on the site. Two interactive areas: 1 for Board, 1 for everyone
- Mina: what do we expect from the website, decide what we want and then choose an appropriate path
- Danada: Kathleen Kidd is re-doing the current site to make it interactive
- Pat: see what Kathleen offers, then make changes if necessary
- Chris: Can she e-mail screenshots?