June 19, 1997

Present: Hazen Allen (chair), Nancy Markee, Juli Hincks, Lisa MacRae, Beth Rowden, Cherie Burns, Phyllis Gilbert, Suzanne Semmes, MiMi Curphey, Mark Mounts

Hazen announced that a gathering celebrating Marjy Whyte's life would be held at Barb Krieger's home on the following day. There was discussion of the role of the DCLSAÑpossibly contributions for refreshments and provision of Mylar sleeves for display of the memorial quilt squares.

This led to a discussion of Welfare Committee activities in general. $50 is to be contributed for Mary Davis's fortieth-anniversary party (half for the party, half toward the gift) to be held on July 2. Some on the Board felt that it was 'unfortunate' that there was no DCLSA recognition of Gloria Densmore's last day, although Gloria had said she didn't want a 'party.' Phyllis wondered if there was a standard amount or type of gift for particular circumstances. DCLSA has given from $25 to $75 for memorial contributions in cases of bereavement and gift certificates from the Dartmouth Bookstore or Gilberte's for occasions such as retirements, and restaurant gift certificates (rather than flowers or stuffed toys) as 'baby' gifts (for the beleagured parents). Suzanne suggested that the Welfare Committee get together to discuss DCLSA contributions and set up a way to keep records of such contributions.

Secretary's report: As Deb Agnoli was unable to attend, Beth handed out copies of the minutes from the preceding meeting. Suzanne moved to approve the minutes; the motion was seconded, and the minutes approved.

Treasurer's report: None (Deb Sicard was unable to attend).

Committee reports: None from Crafts Fair, Program, or Scholarship.

Social Committee: Beth reported for Marianne. The awards luncheon will be held on Wednesday, September 10, at Collis Common Ground. Marianne will help incoming Social Committee to organize this affair.

Welfare (Lisa): Discussion continued from opening announcements, concerning contributions in cases of bereavement. This is generally the responsibility of the Main Office.

As there was no further old business, the meeting proceeded with welcoming the incoming Executive Board. Beth mentioned that Hazen's presidency would be a 'tough act to follow.' She cited some of his accomplishments, among them the Web page, revival of the Halloween party, and rewarding Program Committee presentations. Hazen had previously noted that the DCLSA exists primarily for the 'morale and betterment' of the staff, although some of the personnel functions have migrated to the DCSA.

New committee members:

Welfare: Deb Agnoli
Web page: Monique Jones
Scholarship: Pat Iacuzzi
Crafts Fair: Joyce Blunt, Barb Krieger
Program and Social: still open

Beth is asking for new liaisons; some will remain the same.

The Social Committee is one of the busiest. It organizes the fall and spring meetings, the awards luncheon, and the holiday party. The holiday party needs about 6 to 8 weeks of preparation. Phyllis mentioned that it may be harder than usual to get volunteers: many staff people are facing increased demands on their time because of involvement in various committees concerning the new building. We will discuss the holiday party again at the July and August Board mneetings.

Fall awards: Lisa has previous rcords. Beth will get list of honorees from the Main Office.

Other discussion: Suzanne mentioned as a possible future meeting topic the effect on staff morale of the inevitable disruptions when construction begins. Lisa had mentioned previously that it might be hard to organize staff functions if some people are working at more remote locations.

Cherie mentioned that we need a new person to be in charge of cleaning the Staff Room. There was general discussion of the past (and somewhat murky) history of the cleaning issue. The DCLSA had paid Judy quarterly for this job (Deb Sicard will know the exact amount). Phyllis suggested writing up a job description so that the new person will know exactly what he/she will be responsible for.

Beth noted that Board meetings have been held the third Thursday of each month at 2:15. We will discuss the schedule at the next meetingÑnew Board members may have incompatible schedules. Beth also suggested that the agenda should be set at meetings while people are present, rather than via Blitz.

The next meeting will be held on Thursday, July 17, 1997, at 2:15, in Room 152 in Baker.

Beth made a motion to adjourn; it was seconded and passed. The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Lois Krieger, Secretary

Revised: July 20, 1997 (mej)