WebPac Implementation Team : Meeting Minutes

6/21/01

Present

  • Mark Mounts
  • Bill Fontaine
  • Becca Lee
  • Bill Ghezzi
  • Paul Merchant
  • Jennifer Merrill (recorder)

Minutes

Minutes of the June 7th meeting were approved.

Announcements

Bill distributed the postcards that were mailed to faculty.  Posters should arrive next week.  We haven't seen the mock-up, but purple and flames are promised.  The cost was not what we were led to expect, so we'll be getting 15 2' x 3' and 15 11" x 17".  The pencils are on their way.  Post-its haven't been ordered yet.

We discussed briefly the recent requests from Bill Fontaine to add access points to serial records, and whether those requests need to come to our mailing list.

Bill F. agreed to summarize the problem and send a request for a cleanup project to Bib Control.

Bill F. also agreed to take a look at what could be done with Help text to assist the user in the meantime.

In response to a question from Jennifer, Bill G. agreed that the question of using status codes to indicate non-circulating materials has been requested by a number of staff, and therefore the issue is no longer one that Jennifer and Becca need to investigate.  Bib Control will look at both batch updating of existing records and the ongoing workflow needs to accomplish this.

Hyperlinked locations

As a follow-up to the discussion of minimum requirements for what sits behind the hyperlinked locations, the group formulated this recommendation to be passed on to Cyndy who will take it to the Management Group.

The Web OPAC Implementation Team recommends that the new Library Catalog use the feature of hotlinking the Location in order to provide to the patron additional information about materials at that location.

  • The hotlink should take the user to collection-level information rather than library-level information when sensible.  For instance, Baker/Berry Oversize or Evans Clerestory rather than the full Baker/Berry stacks guide, but to Rauner information rather than Rauner Iconography or Rauner Broadsides.
  • Collection-level pages should contain a link back to a library-level page.
  • Each information page is to contain at least
    • how to find the collection (either via a map or text directions)
    • link to hours
    • brief summary of borrowing privileges for that collection/library

Notes to accompany the recommendation

  1. The group felt that it is useful to patrons (particularly undergrads) to know, before they walk to the library, whether they can borrow the material they have discovered.  CD's and DVD's were mentioned as examples.
  2. It is not possible at this time to open these pages in a new window.  Therefore page authors should keep in mind the context in which they will be shown if they are using existing pages from their websites.  In particular it should be noted that a link that takes the user to the Catalog will not return them to the search results screen they were just on, but will instead start a new session.
  3. Example locations have been enabled for illustration: Baker/Berry Oversize, Kresge  <<shall we insert example searches?>>

Faculty Orientation Sessions

Bill Ghezzi, Mark and Jennifer will give the first session.  The co-chairs will remind Reinhart to schedule presenters for the remaining sessions.

Becca suggested that someone be present at each session that has the authorization to clear PINs in case faculty have them but can't remember what they are.  Jennifer and Becca can both do this and will coordinate between themselves who will cover each session.