WebPac Implementation Team : Meeting Minutes

July 13, 2000

Present

  • Mark Mounts (co-chair)
  • Jennifer Merrill
  • Paul Merchant
  • Norma Pellerin
  • Jennifer Nelson
  • Becca Lee
  • Jim Fries
  • Bill Fontaine
  • Bill Ghezzi (co-chair)
  • Ann McHugo (recorder)

Minutes

Minutes for the previous meeting were approved.

Announcements

  • Mark will create a WebPac group list: "Library-WebPAC-Team."   The list is available for use as of 7/14/00.

  • Mark announced that the Main Menu Subgroup has been formed; members are: Paul Merchant, Mark Mounts, Heather Blunt, Jim Fries, and Miguel Valladares.

  • Bill G. announced that the  Limit Subgroup will hold its first meeting the week of July 24.

  • Bill G. reminded committee members to keep  looking at the WebPac Committee webpage, as it is changing frequently.  Bill has added links to two WebPac sites: Arizona and Minnesota.  The Web page is now connected through the "Departments and Committees" link of the Library homepage.  At Bill F.'s request, Bill G. will add some information about what to look for in each of the sample WebPac sites listed on the committee's page.

  • Bill G. mentioned that some incorrect information had been conveyed in the recent WebPac training session.  For example, we can be very specific about the Labels we choose, even though the trainer indicated otherwise.

  • Bill G. and Jennifer M. described some of their discussions with III staff at ALA.  Bill noted that John McCullough, Project manager for the Web OPAC, had concurred that we have some flexibility with the extended title display.  There also appears to be some possibility (very preliminary at this stage) that OPAC searching might include certain elements of attached records.

  • Jennifer M. distributed a list of design suggestions for consideration by the OPAC Design Subgroup, when it is formed.

Sub-Groups:  Post-searching functionality subgroup

This group will look at issues regarding what happens after a user enters a search: brief display, extended display, bib. record display,  holdings display, the terminology used, etc.  The group will focus on the functionality, not the design.  The group will be charged to review and recommend which wwwoptions  for post-searching functionality should be enabled.  The subgroup will report back by Sept. 1, 2000.  Members are: Jennifer Merrill, Norma Pellerin, Carol Magenau, Lucinda Hall, and Marcia Seekins (last two are tentative as of 7/17/00.)  Mark and Bill will e-mail a proposed charge to the committee.

Usability testing

The committee expressed interest in the idea of performing usability studies as the design process proceeds.  Mark will contact IUG about usability studies from other INNOPAC implementation sites.

Next meeting:  Thursday July 27, 11:00-12:00.  Room to be announced.