Requesting Articles and Books - DartDoc
Document Delivery, Photocopying, Interlibrary Loan
The Biomedical Libraries' Document Delivery Service provides through DartDoc:
- for faculty, students, and staff of Dartmouth College, Geisel School of Medicine, and the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center/Lebanon, photocopies/images of articles from journals in the Dartmouth libraries' collections and obtains copies/images of articles and books from outside of Dartmouth.
- for personnel of the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital photocopies/images of articles from journals in the Biomedical Libraries' collections and obtains copies/images of articles and books from outside of Dartmouth.
Please note: The quantity of document delivery requests that may be filled for a single requestor is subject to processing capacity. You will be contacted if potential delays are expected with processing a large number of requests.
Clients not eligible for regular document delivery services as described above may choose a fee-based photocopy service or Loansome Doc for Unaffiliated Users to obtain documents.
For further information on how to order, and service limitations, see:
For more information about these services, email Biomedical.Libraries.Document.Delivery@Dartmouth.edu or call (603) 646-8629.
Faculty, students, and staff of Dartmouth College, Geisel School of Medicine, and the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center/Lebanon may request photocopies/images of articles from journals in the Dartmouth libraries' collections and from journals not located at Dartmouth. Personnel of the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital may request copies/images of articles from journals in the Biomedical Libraries' collections and from journals not located at Dartmouth.
Articles from journals owned by non-Biomedical Dartmouth College libraries may be requested through this document delivery service by all eligible Lebanon-based clients and by Hanover-based faculty and administrative staff. Hanover-based students are expected to visit the other Dartmouth libraries to make their own copies, with the exception of the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice graduate students who may request articles located at the Feldberg Business and Engineering Library.
Delivery: Articles may be delivered via email (in PDF format), fax, interoffice mail, or U.S. Mail, or held for pick up at one of the Biomedical Libraries. Requests will be processed within two working days; actual delivery may take longer, depending on the circumstances.
We will rush your request, for urgent patient-care needs only, at no charge.
For non-patient care rush requests, there will be a charge of $25.00 for each article requested. Payment is due at the time of pick-up. We will accept cash, a check made payable to "Dartmouth College," and department account numbers.
Please Note: Rush requests are processed at any time from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. Every effort will be made to fill any rush request by the next working day. Actual delivery may take longer, depending on the circumstances.
Occasionally a document is not available through interlibrary loan, but may be able to be purchased. Document Delivery staff will research the cost of the document and will inform you of the cost, and will confirm whether or not you are still interested in obtaining the document. The Biomedical Libraries will cover the cost of the document up to $100. You will be expected to pay the additional amount over $100.
There are four ways to request journal articles:
- DartDoc: Dartmouth's web-based interlibrary loan/document delivery system (Guide to registering for and using DartDoc.)
- through the "Get It" feature in PubMed and other databases and indexes. Click here for an explanation
- through the "Get Full Text" feature in Ovid. Click here for an explanation.
- through PubMed's ordering feature called "Loansome Doc." Click here for an explanation.
In all cases, please provide a complete citation; it will speed the fulfillment process for you.
Books from the Biomedical Libraries' collections generally are checked out in person at one of the circulation desks. See Circulation/Borrowing.
Faculty, students, and staff of Dartmouth College, Geisel School of Medicine, and the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center/Lebanon may request delivery of a book owned by any Dartmouth library to one of the Biomedical Libraries for pick up.
Books not owned by a Dartmouth Library will be borrowed from outside libraries for eligible clients through interlibrary loan.
There are three ways to request books:
- the Request Selected Item feature of the Dartmouth Library Catalog (available to Dartmouth and DHMC/Lebanon-based faculty and staff).
- Borrow Direct, to directly request books from the combined library catalogs of Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, Yale and the Center for Research Libraries (available to current Dartmouth faculty, students, and staff with active email accounts; all current DHMC/Lebanon-based DMS faculty, physicians, and residents).
- DartDoc: Dartmouth's web-based interlibrary loan/document delivery system.