Index | Dartmouth College  

Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Languages and Literatures



Middle Eastern Studies and Hebrew/Israeli Studies off-campus study opportunities

Dartmouth exchange programs in Middle Eastern Studies and Hebrew/Israeli Studies with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Dartmouth offers Fall Semester exchange programs in Middle Eastern Studiesand Hebrew and Israeli Studies with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, ranked as one of the Top 100 universities in the world. Dartmouth students will study and dorm at the Rothberg School of International Studies on the Hebrew University's stunning Mt. Scopus campus, overlooking the Old City of Jerusalem and the Judean Desert.

What courses can I take and what credits will I get?

The exchange offers two tracks, both requiring five courses to fulfil Hebrew University full-time student status. Four courses count for Dartmouth credit; the fifth just requires a passing grade.

(1) Middle Eastern Studies:
five elective courses (taught in English) from the rich list of offerings at the Hebrew University's Rothberg International School, or from the University's general list of relevant undergraduate courses. This can include Middle Eastern political science, economics, social sciences, history, Arabic and Hebrew language and culture. Some of the courses are listed at

(2) Hebrew and Israeli Studies track:
two courses of Hebrew language study, amounting to 4 mornings of instruction per week -- plus three electives, each of them 4 hours per week. The electives are taught in English. Two of the electives must pertain to Israeli cultural and social studies and Hebrew cultural history. The third elective can be in another subject of your choice and taken from the general list of undergraduate courses, not only from the Rothberg list - see

For details of courses, see > ACADEMICS > Hebrew Language Instruction

You have the additional (non-credit) option of taking the Rothberg School's four or eight week intensive Hebrew course in the August-September leading up to the fall semester.

Dartmouth College Transfer Of Credits Policy states (see

  • Grades received in courses transferred from other institutions are not recorded on the Dartmouth transcript or included in the Dartmouth cumulative average. Credits earned on Exchange Programs are included in the maxcimum of four transfer credits allowed toward the degree. Information regarding procedures for approval of transfer credit from exchange programs is available from Off-Campus Programs and the Registrar's Office. It is the student's responsibility to seek and obtain departmental approval for the transfderability of each course, for distributive and world culture attributes, and for possible major and/or minor credit, if appropriate.

How does the Hebrew placement test work?
For Hebrew language placement for the Hebrew and Israeli Studies track, Dartmouth students should take a self-administered placement test provided at the Hebrew University website. Most Dartmouth students are likely to be placed in Level Bet, or occasionally in Level Gimel. See at

What are the dates of the Jerusalem fall semester?
The exact dates for the 2018 Fall exchange semester have not yet been announced, but assume they will run from early October to January 1, with exams scheduled to enable students to be back in Dartmouth for Winter Quarter.

How do I apply and when?
Applications should be submitted to Dartmouth's Guarini Institute by February 1 for Round One or May 1 for Round Two. Two recommendations are required, one or both from a faculty member who has taught you; the other can also be from an undergraduate dean.

Guarini will then send a letter of confirmation to the Hebrew University's Office of the Academic Secretary. Once they have authorized the application, the applicant should complete the application through the Hebrew University's web site at > Admissions. All documents requested by the Hebrew University must be submitted to them by the date specified on their website.

And if I have further questions?
Further questions about the application can be addressed to Guarini, to the Dartmouth Exchange coordinator, Professor Lewis Glinert, or e-mailed to
You can also try phoning the Hebrew University New York Office of Academic Affairs at 212-607-8520
The entire Exchange Program is described on the Hebrew University's English-language website at
You may also visit the Hebrew University Rothberg School website:

What if I need to take more Hebrew in the summer before I go?
There is the additional (non-credit) opportunity, strictly optional, of taking the Rothberg School's four or eight week intensive Hebrew course (Ulpan) in the August-September leading up to the fall semester. This requires separate tuition payment.

What will it cost for tuition, dorms and meals?
Tuition and Fees:
Students pay regular Dartmouth tuition and service fees to Dartmouth for the exchange term and pay room, board and related fees to Hebrew University. Dorm charges ($1940 for the fall semester as of 2017) are paid directly to the Hebrew University; so too tuition for optional summer Hebrew (Ulpan) studies. There is no meal plan requirement. The cost of transportation to and from the site is the responsibility of the student. Because the exchange is an official program sponsored by the College, the Dartmouth student does not need to pay the transfer term fee that the College charges to students who study on outside programs during leave terms. Further details at

Financial Aid:
Financial aid is available for official exchange programs arranged through the College. Financial aid awards are adjusted to reflect the actual cost of the exchange term. However, students will receive no more scholarship assistance than they would have received for a term at Dartmouth. Any extra costs associated with the program will be covered by additional loan assistance.

How will I get my transcript?
Upon completion of the exchange, the exchange coordinator at the host institution will forward the transcript to the Office of the Registrar, Dartmouth College. Future transcripts of exchange program grades may be obtained from the Hebrew University.

What about a visa and passport?
Participants are strongly advised to acquire a multiple-entry A/2 student visa from an Israeli Consulate in the US before travelling. (If they enter Israel on a tourist visa, they must acquire such an A/2 student visa at the Ministry of the Interior in Jerusalem, which can be time-consuming.) The student's passport must also be valid for the full period of the visa.

IMPORTANT: When traveling to Israel, you must have at least six months of validity left on your passport beyond your return date.

Campus Life


The student housing complexes on Mount Scopus, overlooking the incredible panorama of Jerusalem, are walking distance from the University. They offer an independent setting appropriate for overseas students. Living in University housing is an important part of the overall experience of studying abroad. Rothberg (RIS) students have the opportunity to meet new friends from different cultures and continents - North America, South America, Asia, Africa and Europe - as well as a chance to share experiences with Israeli students.

Students are usually housed in apartments with single bedrooms. The bedrooms contain a bed, desk, chair and closet. Kitchen and bathroom facilities are shared. Internet access is available for an additional fee.

Students must supply their own bedroom linens and blankets, dishes and cooking utensils. . A sleeping bag is also highly recommended. Students may bring their own laptops, T.V. sets (PAL system), DVD, etc. There is a service from which students may purchase the needed items and have them delivered to them in Israel.

There is no meal plan, but the kitchens are equipped with stove burners and refrigerators for preparing light meals and snacks. Students should bring their own kitchen utensils and if possible plan in advance to share kitchen utensils with roommates.

Moderately priced kosher cafeterias and snack bars, as well as small supermarkets, can be found in or near each student housing complex. Laundry facilities are also available. A staff of specially selected Israeli students (called madrichim), who reside in the dormitories, assist RIS students in adjusting to campus life at the Hebrew University and help them obtain the full benefit of their stay in Israel.

Room Changes
Students wishing to change rooms may do so only through the housing supervisor. It is imperative that the supervisor has the student's correct address on file at all times.

Health Services

All students at the Hebrew University, including part-time and external students, must have health insurance coverage for the period of their studies.
Unless otherwise noted, all nonŽIsraeli full-time students attending a semester/year program, an ulpan, or a summer program who pay tuition will receive health insurance for the period of their program, provided they meet the criteria. Students who remain in the University over the summer must go to the Finance Office to extend their policy (for a fee).
Students attending a special program that provides health insurance coverage will be required to sign a health insurance waiver upon arrival.
Part-time students taking individual courses in the divisions of Undergraduate Studies, Graduate Studies or Hebrew Language Instruction or the Preparatory Program must purchase health insurance for the period of their studies, including the break between semesters, if applicable.
Students who are Israeli citizens or new immigrants ( olim ) are personally responsible for joining an Israeli health fund ( kupat holim ) to assure their access to medical care. They must submit the Health Insurance Waiver.

  • Registration Procedure
  • 1. Any previous or current medical problem may affect the insurance coverage limitations.
  • 2. Each case is considered individually on the basis of age, insurance period and severity of the condition.
  • 3. Students must complete the Health Insurance Application. Those who answered "yes" to any of the questions on the form may be asked to send a recent up-to-date letter from their attending physician noting the relevant dates and the current status of the medical condition to the RIS. The decision regarding approval will be sent to the RIS and the student.

Please be aware that if the insurance agency discovers that information submitted about prior/chronic conditions is incomplete, all liability may be rescinded. Students who complete all of their financial obligations by the deadline will receive their health insurance cards upon arrival; otherwise health insurance membership cards are generally available a few days after registration. Students are responsible for picking up their health insurance cards in Boyar Room 402. It is important to carry this card at all times. It must be presented when seeking service.

Office of Student Activities

The Office of Student Activities (OSA) is responsible for organizing diverse extracurricular programs specifically designed to introduce RIS students to the Land of Israel - its people, geography, culture and politics. The many exciting events, tours and activities that complement the academic program allow participants to see the country from new angles and provide them with a comprehensive, memorable Israel experience.

OSA employs a team of specially selected students (called madrichim), who reside in the dormitories, to assist international students in adjusting to campus life at the Hebrew University and to make sure that they receive the full benefit of their stay in Israel . The madrichim are a good source of information on general matters, too. Feel free to call or visit them in the dorms or in the office (Boyar Bldg. Room 402).

Madrich On Call is available for any case of Emergency during weekends and vacations at 0548820830.

Sport Services

Unlimited Sports Clubs Package
All RIS students may purchase an unlimited sports clubs membership for only 1 activities point. The package includes more than 10 different weekly courses. The schedule might change from time to time.
Updates will be advertised here. Sign up in Boyar room 402.

Mount Scopus Campus Sports Facilities
The Annette and Theodore Lerner Family Indoor Sports Complex is the most advanced sports facility in Jerusalem, and a leading one in Israel. The facilities include an indoor swimming pool, adjacent to an outdoor open green area with gardens; a dry sauna and a large physical fitness and aerobics center with over 80 advanced fitness machines; a movement studio; a nutrition clinic; professional massage rooms; locker rooms; and a dairy restaurant overlooking the Old City of Jerusalem with a healthy menu. The center is completely air-conditioned. Members of the Lerner Center enjoy a lively, stimulating academic atmosphere, with corners and a patio for meetings and relaxation. The Center is nonsmoking.

The Cosell Center for Physical Education, Leisure and Health Promotion
Sports facilities are located on both the Edmond Safra campus, Givat Ram, and the Mount Scopus campus. The Cosell Center also offers an array of classes in swimming, diving, yoga, martial arts, aerobic dancing and much more. Further information, including the schedule of hours, can be obtained from the offices of the Lerner Family Sports Complex on Mount Scopus and the Cosell Center on the Edmond Safra campus.

The Sir Arthur Gilbert Tennis Club
The Center contains ten outdoor, flood-lit tennis courts and two multipurpose courts. Additional sports available on Mount Scopus include basketball and mini-soccer. The Tennis Club (Tel: 02-5882796) offers students a discount card good for six hours of play. It is possible to rent a court for two players on an hourly basis.
Hours: Sunday 3:00p.m-10:00 p.m., Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-10.00 p.m.,
Friday 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Note: Membership in the Lerner Center includes free use of the tennis courts. (There is a charge only when the courts are floodlit.)

Edmond Safra Campus
Recreational facilities on the Edmond Safra Campus, Givat Ram, include an indoor heated swimming pool (for a recording in Hebrew of the pool hours call 02-6584292); tennis and squash courts, gymnasia, basketball, volleyball, weight training room, aerobics studio and a track and field stadium which meets international standards. The aerobics studio contains sophisticated equipment, including computerized treadmills, standing bicycles, rowing machines, stepping-stairs, cross trainers (upper limb exercise machines) muscle-building apparatus and hand-free weights. Personal instruction is available at all times.

Please note: Students must submit either a letter from a physician stating that they are able to participate in physical activity or a photocopy of the medical form that accompanied their application to the RIS.

Sports Office Hours:

Lerner Sports Complex, Mount Scopus:
Sunday 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Tel. 02-5881234
Cosell Center, Edmond Safra Campus, Givat Ram:
Sunday-Tuesday 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.,
Tel. 02-6586611

Other On-Campus Options

Physical Activity Courses and Clubs
The clubs/courses offered on the Edmond Safra and Mount Scopus campuses include the following: tennis (Mount Scopus); different kinds of dance, e.g., jazz, modern, oriental dance, Latin American, ballroom; martial arts, e.g., taikwan do, kong fu, tai chai, kick boxing, self-defense, bodo tajitsu; various exercise methods, e.g. Feldenkrais, body sculpting, aerobic dancing; yoga; and swimming. In addition, workshops designed to promote good health are offered on the Edmond Safra campus, in such areas as exercises for the back, meditation, nutrition and walking. A schedule of courses and meeting times, as well as registration dates, will be posted on bulletin boards throughout the University at the beginning of the academic year. This information may also be obtained in a program booklet from the Cosell Center office. Registration is usually held at the beginning of each semester. Since classes are limited in size, be sure to register on time. A fee is charged for participation.
Tel. 02-6586611.

Competitive Sports
Talented athletes are encouraged to try out for the University's competitive teams in a variety of sports, e.g., basketball, squash, volleyball, tennis, swimming, chess, triathlon, track and field, and more. In addition, students who would like to participate in intramural sports may register at the tennis center. Basketball, mini-soccer and volleyball groups will be formed.
Tel. 02-6586611.

Last updated November 14, 2017