HOME > FACULTY > DEPARTMENT FACULTY
Assistant Professor (Chinese)
B.A., Wesleyan University (East Asian Studies)
M.A. and Ph.D., Ohio State University (East Asian Languages and Literatures)
Joined the faculty in 2013.
- Chinese Oral Traditions; Folklore Studies; Modern Chinese Language and Literature; Regional Identity
- Chinese 61.02: Love and Desire in Modern Chinese Literature
- Chinese 63.02: Traditional Performance in China: Past and Present
- Chinese 2, 3: First-Year Chinese
- Chinese 10: Introduction to Chinese Culture
- Song King: Connecting People, Places, and Past in Contemporary China. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2018, forthcoming.
- "'Forming Partnerships': Extramarital Songs and the Promotion of China's 1950 Marriage Law." The China Quarterly. (Forthcoming)
- "Faces of Tradition in Chinese Performing Arts." Introduction to a Guest-Edited Special Issue of the Journal of Folklore Research. (Forthcoming)
- "Chinese Singing Contests as Sites of Negotiation Among Individuals and Traditions." Journal of Folklore Research. (Forthcoming)
- "Culture Paves the Way, Economics Comes to Sing the Opera: Chinese Folk Duets and Global Joint Ventures." Asian Ethnology 76(1) (2017): 43-63.
- Review of Reinventing Chinese Tradition: The Cultural Politics of Late Socialism. Journal of American Folklore (Summer 2017) Vol. 130, No. 517: 361-363.
- Review of Music as Intangible Cultural Heritage: Policy, Ideology and Practice in the Preservation of East Asian Traditions. CHIME Journal 20 (2015): 143-146.
- "Folksongs" and "Folk Drama and Ritual." In Victor Mair, Mark Bender, Levi Gibbs, Peace Lee, and Fu Haihong, "Folklore and Popular Culture." Oxford Bibliographies in Chinese Studies. Ed. Tim Wright. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.