Payroll Authorizations (PA)

Salary charged to sponsored project awards are considered allowable and routine in that documentation is submitted on the same schedule as standard Payroll Authorization Forms for permanent Dartmouth College staff.

  • Payroll Authorization Forms are used to hire new employees, increase/reduce rate of pay, and change employee's position classification and to terminate an employee.
  • Payroll Authorization Forms need to be signed by a designated individual within the department and department's fiscal office before submitting to the appropriate finance center (The Office of Sponsored Projects does not require the Finance Office to send them copies of PA's that involve PTA Accounts).
  • If the department is moving retro salary transactions that involve a PTA Account, then a Wage Transfer Form needs to be filled out, along with a justification for moving the salary transactions that can be filled in the Comment Box Section of the Wage Transfer Form. The form must be signed and approved by:
    • PI only approves if the transfer does not qualify as a Simple Reclassification (transaction being moved is at least over 30 days)
    • The Office of Sponsored Projects always approves if a PTA Account is involved

Please contact your schools Finance Center if you have specific payroll questions.