How Does Dartmouth Collect the Funds on an Award

The purpose of this section is to outline the methods by which funds awarded arrive at Dartmouth College, how those funds are controlled within the institution, and finally how payment for sponsored research activities is made.

  • Billing
  • Letter of Credit (Drawdown)
  • Gifts
  • Allocation of funds on a predetermined schedule

Note: The manner in which funds arrive from a sponsor to Dartmouth College should not impact on a Principal Investigator's ability to pay for project expenditures that meet the allowability, allocability, and reasonableness guidelines. The primary role of the Principal Investigator in relationship to these activities is in documenting the project's progress and conveying technical reports to the sponsor in a timely manner.


Some Federal and Private Agencies require billing as a method of payment. It is the responsibility of the Sponsored Research Accounting Assistant in OSP to produce both monthly and quarterly bills for these PTA accounts. Billing is normally done on a reimbursement basis for expenses charged during a particular month or quarter. Check deposits and "aging" are also tracked.

Please note that billing of expenses on a PTA account should only be done by OSP.

Letter of Credit

The Office of Sponsored Projects is responsible for the draw down of funds for the awards from: Health and Human Services (HHS), Department of Education (OED), National Science Foundation (NSF) and National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH). The Manager of Cash Management/Reporting manages the cash flow through FAS to determine the dollar amount to draw down from the appropriate agency on a weekly basis. The Manager of Cash Management/Reporting is required to reconcile the draws in a quarterly report to the agency.

Gifts to Support Sponsored Research (Gift Recording)

Some sponsored research awards from private agencies such as foundations require that their awards be gift recorded. When a check from one of these agencies is received at Sponsored Projects, it is deposited into a Clearing Account. Gift recording notifications are then produced in the Sponsored Projects Office and sent to Gift Recording where they are processed. The money is then put into the appropriate general ledger account. This is done primarily for the agency's tax purposes and also to recognize the efforts of the Development Office.

Allocation of Funds on a Predetermined Schedule

Perhaps the most common method of transferring funds from a sponsor to Dartmouth College is by means of a predetermined schedule of payment. On a scheduled date a check will arrive from, or be issued by, the sponsor to be deposited in the College's general ledger account. Checks are made payable to the Trustees of Dartmouth College. Expenditures are then charged against the PTA account and paid for out of a general ledger account.

Final Financial Closeout

Please click on the below link that provides financial guidance in closing out sponsored project awards.