Studio Rules and Guidelines for Use
Equipment, materials, and instruction is provided free of charge to all participants. In return we ask that you observe these basic rules for the well being of all participants and the maintenance of the studio space. Failure to follow these simple rules will result in loss of studio privileges.
Bindery Studio Use
- Please do not bring food or drinks into the bindery workshop. Water in closed bottles is fine.
- Please clean up after yourself every time you use the Bindery Studio. This includes:
- Return all tools and materials to their proper locations, including any scrap or unused paper. Leave the Bindery Studio as you found it.
- Clean the tables of all scrap material, glue, and paint. Make certain there is no glue stuck to the table.
- Wash all glue and paintbrushes thoroughly, with water and brush soap.
- Dispose of hazardous materials in a safe manner. All blades should be placed in the sharps container, and solvent rags should go in the fireproof box in the Letterpress Studio.
- If you need to leave a project here, label it with your name, date, and contact information and store it in the temporary project housing area. Please remove all projects by the end of the term. Our storage space is extremely limited; no one may carry over projects to the following term without the approval of a Book Arts instructor.
Binding & Creating Multiple Copies in the Bindery Studio
- Paper is freely available for all projects, however for projects requiring more than 25 sheets of 8 ½" x 11" paper (or its equivalent) we ask that you supply your own. Consult an instructor if in doubt.
Letterpress Studio Use
- Please do not bring food or drinks into the Letterpress Studio. Water in closed bottles is fine.
- For your personal safety remove or tie back any loose clothing or long hair while using a press. Be sure to wash your hands at the end of work.
- Please do not use cell phones or other electronic devices (except computers) while in the Letterpress Studio.
- Please treat the type with care as the face of the characters can be easily damaged.
- Please clean up after yourself every time you use the Letterpress Studio. This includes:
- Tying up your type at the end of the evening and storing it in the galley with a signed galley slip.
- Filing out a galley slip with your name, font information, email, phone number, and date.
- Cleaning the type and washing up the press. If you don't know how to clean ask an instructor.
- Disposing of soiled rags and other materials in a safe and correct manner.
- Returning all cases to their original storage spaces at the end of every session.
- Returning unused supplies to the proper shelves & leaving the Letterpress and Bindery studios as you found them.
- Please distribute (put away) your type within two weeks of completing a printing project OR by the end of the term. Book Arts Prizes will not be awarded unless an instructor verifies the type has been distributed by the entrant.
- Be sure to accurately place all type and spacing material in the appropriate compartments.
Come prepared to get at least a little dirty in the Letterpress Studio. We have aprons and hand cleaning soap.
Printing Multiples in the Letterpress Studio
- Paper is freely available for all projects, however for large single page print runs (25 or more) or multiple editions of a book we ask that you supply your own paper and envelopes. Consult an instructor if in doubt.