Dartmouth Finance Training
Coming Fall 2019
The Dartmouth Finance Training program will equip divisional and departmental fiscal and finance administrators with the knowledge, skills, tools, and strategies required to effectively steward resources, understand and explain financial information, and to support informed decision-making.
- Staff time will be optimized because everyone will be trained in efficient methods for completing their work.
- Transactions will be more accurate and completed according to defined best practices.
- Institutional decision-making will be better supported through consistent and accurate analysis and reporting.
- Practices across the institution will be standardized according to defined best practices.
- Staff in financial positions will have transferable skills enable them to move within the organization.
Finance Training Program
- Module 1: Financial Landscape at Dartmouth
- Module 2: Employee Lifecycle Management
- Module 3: Procurement
- Module 4: Ethics, Compliance, and Internal Controls
- Module 5: Analysis and Budgeting
- Module 6: Sponsored Projects Management
- Module 7: Financial Reporting
- Module 8: College Accounting
- Module 9: Communication and Presentation
This course will focus on building an understanding of the financial landscape at Dartmouth College. Participants will become familiar with the higher education business model, Dartmouth organizational structure and financial picture, and how their roles fit into the broader Dartmouth financial picture.
The Employee Lifecycle session of Dartmouth’s comprehensive Financial Training will educate individuals in financial roles about expenses that are incurred for or by employees. The class will provide information on applicable processes, systems, and policies as well as an understanding of the roles and responsibilities in managing employee expenses. Small groups will explore the many facets of employee expenses and gain an understanding of where to find resources and support for exceptional employee financial stewardship.
This course offers participants a comprehensive understanding of the Dartmouth Procurement process, from sourcing to payment. The lesson will follow the stages of the “Procure to Pay Lifecycle,” guiding participants towards an understanding of how the policies, processes, and systems work together at each stage. Reference materials will be shared to guide participants through the various processes after the training.