Relocation, Moving & Storage Services, Domestic & International Policy
Our objective with this policy is to meet the needs of College-required relocation, moving, and storage services with a cost-effective process that provides flexibility for the individual being relocated.
This policy establishes guidelines for all domestic and international relocation and
moving service requirements.
These guidelines apply to all Dartmouth departments.
OFFICE WITH PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY
OFFICE WITH SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITY
- To facilitate the best value to the College, departments, and employees by providing
a system of College-approved, prequalified firms, with discounted rates and established
relationships for quality services and effective communication to address any issues.
- To outline the process related to Relocation and Moving Services for both fully and partially covered relocations.
SCOPE: WHO SHOULD KNOW THIS POLICY?
- Any department or individual responsible for hiring new employees
- Any department or individual responsible for procuring relocation and moving services
- Any individual associated with a Finance Center
- Any new employee of Dartmouth College who is eligible for relocation services
- Reimbursement limits for relocation expenses should be preapproved during the hiring
- Individuals being relocated are encouraged, but not required, to select one of the
Pre-Approved Moving Vendors from the list below.
- The need for estimates varies with circumstances as outlined in Procedures below.
- Pre-Approved Moving Vendors will bill directly to Dartmouth as outlined in Procedures
- Individuals who opt not to use a Pre-Approved Moving Vendor must make their own personal
payment arrangements with their vendor of choice and submit a request for reimbursement
to the authorizing department.
- Please note that Dartmouth is not a contracting party with any of the relocation vendors in the Pre-Approved list. The contract is between the individual and the moving company. Dartmouth does not endorse or require that you use one of the Pre-Approved vendors. They are merely set-up in our accounting system to accept payment directly from Dartmouth. If you choose not to conduct your move with one of the listed companies, you will simply make your own payment arrangement with the vendor of your choice and then submit expenses to the authorizing department for approval and reimbursement.
- Please reference the list of Pre-Approved Moving Vendors and the Relocation Profile Estimate Request Form
- Dartmouth personnel requiring relocation and/or moving services should communicate directly with Dartmouth's Pre-Approved Moving Vendors as follows:
- All moves will require an estimate from at least 2 of the Pre-Approved Moving Vendors.
- It is not a requirement that vendor selection be based on the Lowest estimate; we recognize that other factors may be important.
- Estimates should be submitted to the authorizing Dartmouth Department Administrator*
or your respective Finance Center for approval.
- Department Administrators*/Finance Centers should attach estimates (as applicable),
and submit a Non-Catalog, Non-Confirming Requisition through eProcurement (Oracle
E-Business Suite) for processing.
- Vendor will invoice Dartmouth directly for payment.
*Employees for the Arts & Sciences division should submit estimates to their Finance Center; the Finance Center will submit the required requisition through eProcurement.
Partial Covered Relocation:
- If the cost of the move/relocation is only partially covered by Dartmouth College,
the Purchase Order amount (for a preferred vendor) should be entered only for the
actual portion of the relocation cost to be covered by the College. Payment requests
will only be approved up to the amount of the authorized moving allowance.
- Any amount over and above the portion that is to be paid by Dartmouth is the responsibility of the individual and should be paid to the moving company directly by the individual.
EXCLUSIONS / EXCEPTIONS
Individual/New Employee Option for Using Non-Approved Vendors:
Individuals may choose to utilize a moving vendor outside of Dartmouth's Pre-Approved list; however, the individual must get their own quotes and make their own payment arrangements with the vendor, and then submit receipts to the authorizing department for approval and reimbursement. These moves should NOT be handled through a Dartmouth College Purchase Order.
For policies and procedures for reimbursement of relocation expenses please refer to the Business Expense Policy. The individual's Finance Center can assist with any questions.
All relocation expenses paid or reimbursed must be treated as additional compensation to the employee, subject to both income and employment tax withholding.
CONTACTS / RESPONSIBILITIES
Phone: (603) 646-3435
Pre-Approved Moving Vendors:
Sterling Moving and Storage Inc. (North American Van Lines)
Phone: (860) 237-3869
Atlas Van Lines (HERS - Higher Ed Relocation Specialists)
Moves Coordinator - Caryn Defilippo
Phone: (914) 833-4727