Spring 2013 FYS Course Switch Page
Welcome to the Dartmouth Institute for Writing and Rhetoric Spring 2013 web page with advice for students who want to switch between Spring 2013 First-Year Seminar courses.
The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric strongly discourages switching courses after Wednesday, March 27th in Spring 2013 term. Even missing the first class meeting of a course can put a student at a disadvantage, and missing more than the first class meeting really can make things difficult for a student.
If you want to switch between Spring 2013 First-Year Seminar courses....
#1. FIRST check the Registrar's website timetable listings to see if there is space open in the course you want to switch into:
- Go to: http://oracle-www.dartmouth.edu/dart/groucho/timetable.main
- Click on "Subject Area(s)" search.
- For First-Year Seminars, enter "FYS" in the Subject Code box at the top of the page and click "Find Course Now" button.
- In the resulting list of courses, if the column labeled "Enrl" (Enrollment) is a number less than the column labeled "Lim" (Enrollment Limit), then there is space in the course.
# 2. IF there is SPACE AVAILABLE in a course you want to switch into:
If there is space available, you can now switch yourself from one First-Year Seminar into another First-Year Seminar that has space available, ONLINE in BannerStudent as long as it is during one of the two following periods:
- Thurs. Feb. 28th through Fri. Mar. 8th, the course change period after course election but before Spring term starts
- Monday, March 25 - Sunday, March 31st, the regular drop-add period for Spring 2013 term during the first week's worth of classes.
You do not need to go in person to the registrar's office to accomplish the switch. It can be done online in BannerStudent. There must be space available in the course you want to switch into. You can access BannerStudent via the Registrar's home page or this link: http://www.dartmouth.edu/bannerstudent/
#3. If there is NO SPACE AVAILABLE in a course you want to switch into:
- You should enroll in a FYS course that is a viable backup option.
- You should continue to attend the FYS course you are currently enrolled in, and do the work for the class, because there is no guarantee that you will succeed in switching courses.
- You should also continue to check for yourself to see if a space has opened up in the FYS course you want. If you see an open space, you can switch yourself into it online (see # 2 above for details).
- The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric NEVER allows enrollment above the limit in a First-Year Seminar course. We do not maintain waiting lists. Open slots are first-come, first-served.
Also, if no space is available, please fill out the Spring 2013 FYS switch survey (links to surveys are at the bottom of this page).
- This switch survey is meant to be a tool to help students find a person to switch with, but it is NOT a guarantee that we will be able to help you switch courses.
- By entering the information in this survey, you are agreeing to give us permission to reveal contact information to another student if they have a matching desire to switch courses, in order to facilitate the two of you contacting each other.
- If someone else fills out the survey who wants to switch courses with you, we will contact the pair of you by email, and you can coordinate with each other to accomplish the switch as soon as possible after you hear from us.
- If you don't hear from us, we have not identified a match for you yet.
- If you need to send us a message canceling your switch request, please use the notes section in Question 5 of the survey.
The switch survey site will open by Wednesday, Feb. 27th and close on Friday, March 29th.
We will check the switch site regularly Thursday, Feb. 28th - Fri. March 8th, Monday 3/25 - Wednesday March 27th.
We will email people who match up on a first-come first-served basis.
Click here to fill out First-Year Seminar switch survey
-- Hope Rennie, Institute for Writing & Rhetoric