Fall 2012 Writing 5 Section Switch Page
Welcome to the Dartmouth Institute for Writing and Rhetoric Fall 2012 web page with advice for students who want to switch between Fall 2012 Writing 5 sections.
The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric strongly discourages switching writing courses after Wednesday, September 12th in Fall 2012 term. Even missing the first class meeting of a course can put a student at a disadvantage, and missing more than the first class meeting really can make things difficult for a student.
If you want to switch between Fall 2012 Writing 5 courses....
#1. FIRST check the Registrar's website online timetable listings to see if there is space open in the course you want to switch into:
- Go to: http://oracle-www.dartmouth.edu/dart/groucho/timetable.main
- Click on "Subject Area(s)" search.
- For Writing 5, click on "Selected Terms" and choose "Fall Term 2012", then click on "Selected Subjects" and click the checkbox next to "Writing Program (WRIT)", then click the "Search for Courses" button at the bottom of the page.
- In the resulting list of courses, if the column labeled "Enrl" (Enrollment) is a number less than the column labeled "Lim" (Enrollment Limit), then there is space in the course. These numbers are updated in real time so they do accurately reflect the current situation.
# 2. IF there is SPACE AVAILABLE in a course you want to switch into:
If there is space available, you can now switch yourself from one section of Writing 5 into another section of Writing 5 that has space available ONLINE in BannerStudent as long as it is during one of the two following periods:
- Saturday, September 8th, 8 am to Sunday, September 9th 6 pm. This is the course adjustment period for first-year students after course election but before classes start.
- Monday, September 10th, 8 am through through Sunday, September 16th. This is the regular drop-add period for Fall 2012 term during the first week of classes. After this, you need instructor permission to switch courses.
You do not need to go in person to the registrar's office to accomplish the switch. It can be done online in BannerStudent. There must be space available in the course you want to switch into. You can access BannerStudent via the Registrar's home page or this link: http://www.dartmouth.edu/bannerstudent/
#3. If there is NO SPACE AVAILABLE in a course you want to switch into:
- You should make sure you are enrolled in a Writing 5 course that is a viable backup option, because there is no guarantee that you will succeed in switching courses.
- You should attend the course you are currently enrolled in, and do the work for the class, because there is no guarantee that you will succeed in switching courses.
- You should also continue to check for yourself to see if a space has opened up in the course you want. If you see an open space, you can switch yourself into it online (see # 2 above for details).
- The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric NEVER allows enrollment above the limit in a Writing 5 course. We do not maintain waiting lists. Open slots are first-come, first-served.
Also, if no space is available, please fill out the Fall 2012 Writing 5 switch survey (link to survey is at the bottom of this page).
- This switch survey is meant to be a tool to help students find a person to switch with, but it is NOT a guarantee that we will be able to help you switch courses.
- By entering the information in this survey, you are agreeing to give us permission to reveal contact information to another student if they have a matching desire to switch courses, in order to facilitate the two of you contacting each other.
- If someone else fills out the survey who wants to switch courses with you, we will contact the pair of you by email, and you can coordinate with each other to accomplish the switch as soon as possible after you hear from us.
- If you don't hear from us, we have not identified a match for you yet.
- If you need to send us a message canceling your switch request, please use the notes section in Question 5 of the survey.
The switch survey site will open by Friday, September 7th at 8 pm and close at 8:30 am on Wednesday, September 12.
We will check the switch survey if we can over the weekend, and then we will definitely be able to check it Monday Sept. 10th and Tuesday, Sept. 11.
We will email people who match up on a first-come first-served basis.
Click here to fill out Writing 5 switch survey
-- Hope Rennie, Institute for Writing & Rhetoric