Women in Science Project
You can get a mentor who is a professional scientist or engineer in industry or government through MentorNet. Apply online at MentorNet.net at anytime during the year. Open to Dartmouth men and women undergraduates, graduates, post docs and junior faculty.
6243 Parker House, 2nd floor
(Located in a two-story white frame house)
Phone: (603) 646-3690
The Matching Process
How Does Matching Work?
September 26 - October 17 Round One/ November 1 - November 12, 2012 Round Two
- Matching: Matches between students and sponsors are made based on a combination of your preferences and the sponsors' rankings of students with whom they interviewed. Matching is done by a WISP Selection Committee. If you're not matched in Round 1 or 2, you can reapply next year to those internships open to sophomores.
- Notification: You will receive a Blitz from the WISP office by the end of the day October 29 for Round One and November 21 for Round Two indicating whether you've been matched, and if so, who your sponsor is. The Blitz will provide information on what to do next.
So you're matched: Matched interns will need to:
- Complete payroll forms in the Student Employment Office (7 Lebanon St. 2nd floor).
- Attend the Intern Orientation Session in January (to be announced).
- Work 6-10 hours per week for two terms.
- Track hours worked and submit biweekly timesheets to the WISP office.
- Complete pre- and post-internship questionnaires.
- Participate in group meetings with other interns.
- Prepare a poster at the conclusion of your internship and participate in the Wetterhahn Science Poster Symposium on May 23, 2013.
So you're not matched - Round 2:
Don't despair! There's a Round 2! There are a variety of reasons why students are not matched in Round 1. Most often it is because many students apply for the same project, but the sponsor can only take one intern. If you are not matched in Round 1, definitely apply again in Round 2. There may be new projects listed in Round 2 that were not ready in time to be published in the first round!
- Round 2 Opportunities will be available online November 1.
- Round 2 interview period is November 10 - November 12.
- Round 2 applications and the online Top Choices form must be submitted to the WISP office by 4:00 pm November 12. See application procedures for details.