|Thayer Hall (photo by Joseph Mehling ’69)|
A $12 million gift from the Class of 1953 will enable the College to address the priority of dining and social space by modernizing Thayer Hall, the main student dining facility on campus. Built in 1937, Thayer Hall was last renovated in 1976. Its major building systems, including plumbing, heating, and ventilation, are obsolete, with outdated food preparation equipment, accessibility issues, and unsustainably high energy costs.
The Class of 1953 originally made a commitment of $10 million to fund a new dining and social facility at the north side of campus. Given current financial conditions, the College developed an alternate proposal to achieve the same end at much lower cost by rejuvenating Thayer Hall. No additional expense will be added to the College’s operating budget.
The renovation is expected to run from summer 2010 through fall 2011. A broad base of 253 classmates and widows contributed to the effort, which also received gifts from other generous donors.
Last Updated: 2/1/10