Skip to main content
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Home >

Things To Consider for Your Senior Year


Week One Email to Class

Week Two Email to Class

Week Three Email to Class

If you participate in Commencement but neglect to pick up your diploma:

We will mail your diploma to you for a fee of $25 (check or money order payable to Dartmouth College).

What address will we use? The one you provided on your degree application. If you are unsure of the address you provided or would like the diploma to be sent to a different address, please include your ID#, name, preferred mailing address and contact phone number with payment.

Depending on the number of diplomas we are mailing, you might not receive your diploma until the end of the summer.

Contact information:
Undergraduate Deans Office
Carson Hall - Suite 125, Hanover, NH 03755

NOTE: If you don't pick up your diploma on Sunday, but are in Hanover during the week following Commencement, you can pick up your diploma from the Undergraduate Deans Office in Carson Hall, Suite 125 and avoid the mailing fee.

  • We'll be open 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • You'll need to bring your photo ID!

Fines, Holds, and Other Reasons: Why would I receive a blank parchment?

If you have unresolved obligations, you will receive a blank parchment when diplomas are distributed.

See for more information.

If you get a blank parchment, here's what to do:

  • Contact the office with whom you have an outstanding obligation.
  • Once you have resolved that obligation, your diploma will be mailed to you.
  • If you are still on campus, you can pick up your diploma at the Undergraduate Deans Office in Carson Hall, Suite 125 with your photo ID (8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday).
  • If you were a summer 2013 or fall 2013 graduate and are participating now (in other words, you have already received your diploma), you will receive a blank parchment when diplomas are distributed.

On-Going Resources

Dartmouth College has a network of effective resources to assist every senior, whether you plan to graduate in June or are postponing your graduation until a later date. These resources provide support as you pursue academic and personal success while at Dartmouth, and can help you prepare for graduation and life after Dartmouth as well.

Make sure you access the support offered by the Undergraduate Deans Office, the offices highlighted below, and professors, advisors, coaches, mentors and deans.

Check out these web sites:

Career/After Dartmouth Opportunities


          • Use your Time Management skills!
          • Maintain and pursue out-of classroom contact with professors.
          • Reflect on personal values and lifestyle in relation to future planning.
          • Acknowledge that beginnings and endings can be stressful and are a normal part of growing. You are not alone! Be open and honest about this time of your life.
          • Remain diligent about your health and well-being.

Graduation Preparation

BannerStudent: Degree Application - Apply for Bachelor of Arts Degree

          • File a degree application in BannerStudent and be sure to complete the PRONUNCIATION section of the application.  The Degree Application is used to confirm your intent to graduate; the deadline for completing the Degree Application for Winter and Spring term graduates is February 14, 2014. Fall term graduates need to have this completed by October 22, 2013. 
          • (FYI: The PRONUNCIATION section is used by the Readers at the Commencement ceremony.)

BannerStudent: DegreeWorks (Degree Audit)

          • Review your degree audit carefully and confirm completion of degree requirements including:
            • specific course requirements (such as Writing, First-Year Seminar, and Language);
            • distributive requirements;
            • world culture requirements;
            • swim test;
            • PE requirement.
          • Contact the Registrar's Office to discuss any questions/discrepancies.
          • Check with your major/minor department or program about your progress towards completion of the major and/or minor.
          • Contact the Physical Education Department with questions regarding the PE requirement, which includes the swim test.  Keep in mind that your swim test will not appear as completed on Degreeworks or Banner until you have also completed your three PE courses.  If you are unsure whether you passed, contact Roger Demment in the PE department.
          • IMPORTANT REMINDER: Do not NRO a course you may need for general education or other future purposes. A course in which the final standing is NR cannot be used to satisfy a major requirement, distributive, world culture, or specific course requirement. For details on the Non-Recording Option, refer to the ORC.

Center for Professional Development

Commencement Information

          • Utilize Dartmouth's Commencement web page - it will contain all the information you need!
          • Read all the mail (via Hinman or US post) and all emails that come to you from Conferences and Special Events, the 2014 Class Council, and the Undergraduate Deans Office.

"Dean's Certification" for Professional Schools

          • The primary purpose of a "Dean's Certification" is to obtain information about academic and disciplinary misconduct (or lack thereof). If requested by the professional school, we will report any major disciplinary sanctions [i.e. Conduct (Suspension or Separation) or Academic (Suspension or Separation)]. It is not College policy to report the specifics of the proceedings. If you have experienced a major disciplinary sanction, please speak with Lesley Kingsley, the pre-law advisor in the Center for Professional Development.

          • At Dartmouth, the Undergraduate Deans Office attests to the applicant's academic and personal record, if requested by the professional school as part of the "Dean's Certification."

          • Please submit the form provided by the professional school to Colleen Murphy in the Undergraduate Deans Office in person [Carson 125]. by emailing to Colleen Murphy a scanned copy (if the professional school allows), by fax 603.646.6166, or mail [Hinman 6064 or 6064 Carson Hall, Suite 125, Hanover NH 03755].

          • Because of the high volume of requests, your "Dean's Certification" will take 2-3 weeks to be processed. Please plan accordingly.

          • PLEASE NOTE: Dean's Certifications will ONLY be sent to those schools that require them.

Family Addresses []

          • Make sure the addresses for your parents, guardians and/or families are correct in BannerStudent so that they can receive important Commencement information.

Financial Aid/Loans

          • Students with financial aid loans must complete Exit Counseling sessions. The Financial Aid and/or Student Financial Services Office will send out notification emails during the spring term with instructions on where to complete the sessions online.

International Students on an F-1 or J-1 Visa

          • Contact the Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS):
            • if your family will need letters of invitation for visa purposes to attend Commencement;
            • for final questions regarding the duration, continuation, or conclusion of your immigration status in the United States;
            • to apply for Optional Practical Training, if eligible;
            • to arrange for transfer to another school, if applicable;
            • to arrange for change of level to another school or program at Dartmouth, if applicable; and
            • to pick up any remaining immigration documents from OVIS or USCIS


          • Return all borrowed books to the library from which they were borrowed and pay any fines.

Letters of Recommendation

          • Contact professors, deans and/or employers EARLY for recommendations, allowing for ample time prior to a deadline. It is helpful to provide a current resumé.  Recommendations can also be included in your Interfolio Account for future use.  
          • If you are applying to Law School, you do not need to open an Interfolio Account. You do, however. need to have your letters sent to LSAC Credential Assembly Service. Contact the Center for Professional Development for more information.
          • Visit the Center for Professional Development's website for information about letters of recommendation and writing personal statements.

Student Financial Services

          • Make sure your bill (including DartCard charges, tuition, and room and board) is in good standing with Student Financial Services. Watch for a pre-graduation bill that will be sent in May.



Enjoy your Senior year!


 Continue to take advantage of all Dartmouth has to offer. We wish you the best!

Last Updated: 9/29/14