Skip to main content
Home >

Things To Think About - Classes Prior to 2018

On-Going Resources

Students from class years prior to 2018 share many characteristics with all other undergraduates but also have unique needs and concerns - and that's where the Undergraduate Deans Office can help! We admit we probably don't have all the answers, since every student brings new questions. Let's work together to seek the answers you need.

If you expect to complete your degree requirements by the end of this term, please scroll down to "Graduation Preparation" and use the link to the "Graduation Preparation Checklist" above.

Dartmouth College has a network of effective resources to assist every student, whether you plan to graduate in June or are postponing your graduation until a later date. These resources provide support as you pursue academic and personal success while at Dartmouth, and can help you prepare for graduation and life after Dartmouth as well.

Please contact us if we can be of assistance in any way. Make sure you access the support offered by our office (Undergraduate Deans Office), the offices highlighted below, and professors, advisors, coaches, mentors and deans.

Check out these web sites:

Career/After Dartmouth Opportunities


  • Use your time management skills!
  • Maintain and pursue out-of classroom contact with professors.
  • Reflect on personal values and lifestyle in relation to future planning.
  • Acknowledge that beginnings and endings can be stressful and are a normal part of growing. You are not alone! Be open and honest about this time of your life.
  • Remain diligent about your health and well-being.

Graduation Preparation

BannerStudent: Degree Application—Apply for Bachelor of Arts Degree

  • File a degree application in BannerStudent and be sure to complete the PRONUNCIATION section of the application.  The Degree Application is used to confirm your intent to graduate; the deadline for completing the Degree Application for Winter and Spring term graduates is February 15, 2016. Fall term graduates need to have this completed by October 22, 2015. 
  • (FYI: The PRONUNCIATION section is used by the Readers at the Commencement ceremony.)

BannerStudent: DartWorks (Degree Audit)

  • Review your degree audit carefully and confirm completion of degree requirements including:
      • specific course requirements (such as Writing, First-Year Seminar, and Language);
      • distributive requirements;
      • world culture requirements;
      • swim test;
      • PE requirement.
      • Contact the Registrar's Office to discuss any questions/discrepancies.
      • Check with your major/minor department or program about your progress towards completion of the major and/or minor.
      • Contact the Physical Education Department with questions regarding the PE requirement, which includes the swim test.  Keep in mind that your swim test will not appear as completed on Degreeworks or Banner until you have also completed your three PE courses.  If you are unsure whether you passed, contact Roger Demment in the PE department.
      • IMPORTANT REMINDER: Do not NRO a course you may need for general education or other future purposes. A course in which the final standing is NR cannot be used to satisfy a major requirement, distributive, world culture, or specific course requirement. For details on the Non-Recording Option, refer to the ORC.

Commencement Information

  • Utilize Dartmouth's Commencement web page—it will contain all the information you need!
  • Read all the mail (via Hinman or US post) and all emails that come to you from Conferences and Special Events, the 2018 Class Council, and the Undergraduate Deans Office.

"Dean's Certification" for Professional Schools

  • The primary purpose of a "Dean's Certification" is to obtain information about academic and disciplinary misconduct (or lack thereof). If requested by the professional school, we will report any major disciplinary sanctions [i.e. Conduct (Suspension or Separation) or Academic (Suspension or Separation)]. It is not College policy to report the specifics of the proceedings. If you have experienced a major disciplinary sanction, please speak with Lesley Kingsley, the pre-law advisor in the Center for Professional Development.
  • At Dartmouth, the Undergraduate Deans Office attests to the applicant's academic and personal record, if requested by the professional school as part of the "Dean's Certification."
  • Please submit the form provided by the professional school to Colleen Murphy in the Undergraduate Deans Office in person [Carson 125] by emailing to Colleen Murphy a scanned copy (if the professional school allows), by fax 603-646-6166, or mail [Hinman 6064 or 6064 Carson Hall, Suite 125, Hanover NH 03755].
  • Because of the high volume of requests, your "Dean's Certification" will take 2-3 weeks to be processed. Please plan accordingly.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Dean's Certifications will ONLY be sent to those schools that require them.

Family Addresses

  • Make sure the addresses for your parents, guardians and/or families are correct in BannerStudent so that they can receive important Commencement information.

Financial Aid/Loans

  • Students with financial aid loans must complete Exit Counseling sessions. The Financial Aid and/or Student Financial Services Office will send out notification emails during the spring term with instructions on where to complete the sessions online.

International Students on an F-1 or J-1 Visa

      • Contact the Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS):
        • for assistance generating a letter for family members seeking to obtain a visa to attend Commencement, see;
        • for final questions regarding the duration, extension, or termination of your immigration status in the United States;
        • to apply for Optional Practical Training, if eligible;
        • to arrange for transfer to another school, if applicable;
        • to arrange for change of level to another school or program at Dartmouth, if applicable;
        • to pick up any remaining immigration documents from OVIS or USCIS


  • Return all borrowed books to the library from which they were borrowed and pay any fines.

Letters of Recommendation

  • Contact professors, deans and/or employers EARLY for recommendations, allowing for ample time prior to a deadline. It is helpful to provide a current resumé.  Recommendations can also be included in your Interfolio Account for future use.  
  • If you are applying to Law School, you do not need to open an Interfolio Account. You do, however. need to have your letters sent to LSAC Credential Assembly Service. Contact the Center for Professional Development for more information.
  • Visit the Center for Professional Development's website for information about letters of recommendation and writing personal statements.

Student Financial Services

  • Make sure your bill (including DartCard charges, tuition, and room and board) is in good standing with Student Financial Services. Watch for a pre-graduation bill that will be sent in May.



Last Updated: 10/10/17