Skip to main content

Judicial Affairs Office

5 Rope Ferry Road, Room 203
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
Phone: (603) 646-3482
Fax: (603)646-0421
Hinman Box 6020
Home >


Withdrawal, Administrative Withdrawal, Resignation, Readmission

Withdrawals, administrative withdrawals, resignations, and readmissions are acted on by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students.

A student who wishes to withdraw from the College must submit a "Request to Withdraw" form available from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students. "Requests to Withdraw" must be approved by a dean before they become effective. The deadline for withdrawal is the last day of classes of each term. Students who withdraw for medical reasons must have the concurrence of the College Health Service. Students who withdraw must leave campus housing within 48 hours after their withdrawal request has been approved by a dean. A withdrawal may have certain conditions associated with it, such as the requirement to remain off campus until readmission, which will be reviewed with the student. A student who leaves the College without permission to withdraw or who withdraws a second time (except medical or administrative withdrawal) will be considered to have resigned.

Upperclass students who are withdrawn in good standing from Dartmouth may enroll elsewhere in courses for transfer credit, subject to the policies and procedures of the Registrar's office requiring Dartmouth approval prior to enrolling. Transfer credit arrangements must be made in accordance with procedures outlined in the ORC. Such credit will not be entered on the Dartmouth record until the student is readmitted or reinstated in good standing.

Withdrawals are recorded in several categories:

  • IN GOOD STANDING. The student is eligible for readmission at any time.
  • In QUESTIONABLE STANDING.  Questionable standing connotes an academic record that does not warrant "prejudice" but indicates problems that warrant review prior to readmission.  A dean (or COS) may stipulate conditions that must be met before readmission will be considered, e.g., passage of a stated period of time.
  • ON PROBATION. A student who withdraws while on Probation will have that fact noted. If readmitted after withdrawal, the student will remain on Probation for the first term in residence (See ORC for details about Credit Transfer).
  • WITH PREJUDICE. Withdrawal at a time when suspension is likely were the term to be completed will be permitted only "with prejudice." Students withdrawn with prejudice must leave campus within 48 hours after the withdrawal has been approved, and may not return to campus before readmission without prior permission from the appropriate dean. Readmission will normally occur only after an absence of three terms. Early requests for readmission will only be considered if the student presents very compelling evidence that the maximum length of the withdrawal should not be in effect. Students returning from Withdrawal with Prejudice are on Probation for their first term in residence. Further unsatisfactory scholarship would not entitle such students to receive notices of Risk or Warning prior to Probation or Separation. During the period of withdrawal, a student may not progress toward completion of the Dartmouth degree by taking courses at other institutions, except as noted in the ORC.
  • MEDICAL. Students withdrawn for medical reasons must receive approval from their class dean, with a recommendation from the Health Service, in order to qualify for readmission. Under certain circumstances, a student may be placed on an involuntary medical withdrawal according to procedures on file for review at the College Health Service and the Office of the Dean of the College.
  • CASE PENDING. Students may be withdrawn with case pending if some conduct issue or other concern is not sufficiently resolved prior to withdrawal.
  • WITH SIMULTANEOUS READMISSION. Withdrawn students are not normally granted simultaneous readmission unless their withdrawal is in good standing and/or for medical reasons. Normally, such readmission is for the term immediately following withdrawal.
  • INACTIVE STUDENT. A student who has had four consecutive leave terms, or leave terms combined with administrative withdrawals, will be withdrawn by the Office of the Dean of the College at the beginning of his or her next term, if the student still does not have an active enrollment pattern.

Note: A student who withdraws from the College will, upon readmission, have the same academic and/or conduct status as before the withdrawal, unless as otherwise indicated.

Administrative Withdrawal:

Students who do not complete the check-in process, via BannerStudent, for a planned term in residence and who fail to clear administrative holds due to outstanding financial and other obligations will not be permitted to enroll for that term. Students are expected to respond to information posted in BannerStudent and notifications from the Dean’s Office warning of pending administrative withdrawal. Students who fail to clear their holds and receive permission to complete check-in will be required to vacate College housing, will lose their dining account, will be removed from courses that term and will have their enrollment pattern changed to an ‘A’ for that term reflecting that they are administratively withdrawn and not enrolled. Administrative withdrawal deadlines are strictly enforced. Students should contact the administrative sources of the holds (eg Student Financial Services, the Dartcard Office, the Registrar’s Office) to work to resolve them at the beginning of the term, well in advance of posted deadlines.

Note: A student who is withdrawn for administrative reasons will, upon readmission, have the same academic and/or conduct status as before the withdrawal, unless as otherwise indicated.

Resignation. Students who intend to pursue degrees at another institution must resign from Dartmouth. A student who leaves the College without permission to withdraw or who withdraws a second time (except medical or administrative withdrawal) will be considered to have resigned. Students who resign are not normally considered for readmission.

Readmission. Students seeking readmission must submit a readmission request form (available in the offices of the class deans) and any appropriate supplementary documentation. Such material must be received in the offices of the class deans at least 60 days in advance of registration for the term in which the student wishes to return. Students will be asked to state:

  1. Why and when the student left Dartmouth.
  2. Why the student believes he/she is ready to return and complete his/her education in an uninterrupted fashion.
  3. How the student has prepared for return, both academically and otherwise.
  4. What the student's academic plans upon readmission are.

No readmission is automatic. The Registrar reserves the right to deny a student an enrollment pattern that includes an "R" for an overcrowded term even when the student is readmitted by the Undergraduate Deans Office.

Students who have withdrawn for medical reasons must secure the recommendation of the appropriate personnel at the College Health Service that they are fully capable of meeting academic responsibilities before readmission will be considered.

Those who withdrew with prejudice or who were suspended must support their applications with letters of recommendation from employers or other non-relatives who have known them well during their absence from the College.

Readmitted students are eligible to be on campus the day residence halls open for the specific term. Any request for returning to campus prior to the official residence hall opening date requires special permission by the student’s undergraduate class dean. Such requests should be made in writing and submitted well in advance of the date the student wishes to be on campus.

Last Updated: 10/3/13