Skip to main content
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Undergraduate Research Grants

The deadline for FALL 2014 projects is Wednesday, July 16, 2014.

Applications are submitted via Blackboard, and instructions on how to access site are included on the application instructions page (click on the link below).  Note that the Blackboard site will be closed after the deadline for each term and will reopen at the start of the next term.

Click here for additional program deadlines in 2013-2014.

Program Description

The Dean of Faculty office offers a number of grants for Dartmouth undergraduates to engage in independent research with a Dartmouth College faculty mentor. Grants are awarded for research during a leave term and/or for research related to a senior honors thesis.


  • Leave term research (full-time): up to $4,000
    • students must be enrolled for at least one term following the term of leave term research
    • students must be working directly with a Dartmouth faculty mentor on the research.  Students doing research with faculty at other institutions are not eligible for research grants.
    • first year students are eligible to apply in the spring for funding in the summer after their first year, courtesy of funds from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (formerly the First Year Summer Research program)
    • students are not eligible for funding for room and board for research being conducted in or near their home towns except in unusual circumstances
    • seniors are not eligible for leave term grants although they may apply for Honors Thesis grants (see below)
  • Senior Honors Thesis research: up to $2,000 per term
    • for Senior Honors Thesis research ONLY (can be for research during a leave term or residence term during senior year)
    • research must be during the student's senior year except in unusual circumstances (e.g. student is graduating in three years)
    • if your thesis has not yet been accepted by the grant application deadline, you may still submit your grant application.  If your application is selected for funding, UGAR will follow up with you on the status of your thesis proposal.
    • grants are awarded ONLY for costs directly related to the research, and NOT for cost of living (e.g. campus housing, meal plan, etc.) or an individual stipend
  • Group research projects
    • Applications for group projects are welcomed -- blitz "undergraduate research" for information on how to submit an application for a group project.
  • Notes about research grants
    • In some cases, larger grants may be possible for projects that require a higher level of funding. Blitz “undergraduate research” to make an appointment if you think your project may qualify for additional funding. You must contact the office before submitting your application if you would like to apply for a larger grant.  You will also need to include a section in your written proposal justifying your budget request.
    • A portion of each award ($100) is withheld pending submission of the final report/thesis to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Research
    • Guidelines for final reports


  • Applicants must have completed one year of coursework (first-year students are eligible to apply for summer term research funding)
  • Students apply for funding the term before the one in which they intend to engage in the research. Funding will not be awarded retroactively or for applications submitted in the same term as the research.
  • Students who have received a previous research grant (leave term or honors thesis) must submit a summary/final report in order to be eligible for a research grant in a later term.
  • Students are not eligible for research grants once they have completed enough credits for a Dartmouth undergraduate degree (for example, students who have completed a Dartmouth A.B. and are continuing coursework for a Dartmouth B.E. are not eligible for undergraduate research grants).
  • GPA is taken into consideration in awarding grants but is not the only factor.
  • Senior Fellows are not eligible for any of these grants during their fellowship year.
  • Mellon-Mays Fellows are not eligible for these grants except in unusual circumstances.
  • Applicants can receive a maximum of 2 leave term grants (students are eligible for senior honors thesis grants even if they have received 2 leave term grants).
  • Students MUST be working directly with a Dartmouth College faculty mentor on the research. This generally includes faculty at the Geisel School of Medicine/DHMC, Tuck School of Business, and Thayer School of Engineering. Please contact Undergraduate Research if you have questions about your advisor's eligibility to supervise your research. Students doing research with faculty at other (non-Dartmouth) institutions are not eligible for research grants. 
  • Grants cannot be used for tuition or instruction at Dartmouth or elsewhere.
  • In general, grants are not awarded for travel to countries on the U.S. State Department travel warning list.  If you are applying for funding to travel to a country or region under a U.S. State Department warning, a Travel Waiver is required, and application for a waiver must be submitted at least three weeks prior to travel.

Additional Information

  • Priority for leave term funding will go to sophomores and juniors (this includes the summer between junior and senior year).
  • Priority for leave term funding will go to students conducting unpaid research full-time.  Applications involving research that is less than 10 weeks and/or less than 35 hours per week will be considered after decisions are made about full-time research and only if funding is available.  Awards for part-time research will be pro-rated based on the number of weeks and/or number of hours of proposed research.
  • For research projects involving international travel:
    • Pre-trip planning information as well as security and medical assistance while abroad is available through Dartmouth's subscription to International SOS.
    • Be sure to check on visa policies well in advance of any planned travel as the visa application process can be lengthy in some cases.
    • You will be required to submit your trip information on the Travel Registry Form.
  • All tenured, tenure-track, and research-track faculty are eligible to supervise undergraduates in research.  The category of research-track faculty includes research assistant professors, research associate professors, and research professors.  Those with other types of appointments may supervise undergraduates with approval from the relevant department or program chair, director, or dean.  Examples of other types of appointments include: visiting faculty, adjunct faculty, emeritus faculty, lecturers, senior lecturers, instructors, and post-doctoral scholars.  This policy applies to faculty affiliated with the Arts & Sciences (undergraduate program), Thayer School of Engineering, Geisel School of Medicine, and Tuck School of Business.
  • Ownership of intellectual property created by students conducting research funded by a UGAR research grant shall be determined in accordance with the patent and copyright policies of Dartmouth College.
  • Leave term research grants are intended for unpaid research. For example, if your faculty research mentor is paying you hourly wages for the work related to your research, you are not eligible for a leave term research grant unless you have additional expenses not covered by your wages. This must be detailed on the budget form, and your wages must be included in the "additional sources of funding" section.
  • If you have previously received funding through UGAR, you must be in good standing in that program in order to be considered for a grant (e.g. submitted all required paperwork and final reports).
  • The grant selection committee includes faculty from the four divisions (humanities, interdisciplinary, sciences, social sciences). Therefore, your proposal should be written in such a way that it is comprehensible to non-experts in your field.
  • Funding decisions are announced 2 weeks after the application deadline for applications submitted in summer, fall, and winter.  Due to the large number of applications submitted in the spring for summer term funding, decisions will be announced 3 weeks after the deadline rather than 2.
    • Note that this notification deadline is typically AFTER the deadline to apply for D-plan changes.  If you are applying for a leave term grant, consider the implications of receiving vs. not receiving a grant in terms of the impact on your D-plan.  There is a penalty to change from a residence term to a leave term after the registrar's deadline, but there is no penalty for changing from a leave term to a residence term.

CLICK HERE for information on how to apply for an undergraduate research grant

Funding Sources

Note that this list is for informational purposes only. Applicants do not apply for specific grants. The grant review committee will decide on funding sources for selected applications.

  • Thomas E. Anderson, Sr. GP '96, '09 Fund for Undergraduate Research
    • Undergraduate research in any academic discipline
  • Leslie Embs Bradford 1977 and Charles C. Bradford Fund for Undergraduate Research
    • Undergraduate research, particularly in the humanities
  • Anna Thompson Burnap Undergraduate Student Research Award
    • Technology-oriented research
  • David C. Hodgson Endowment for Undergraduate Research
    • Research in the field of cognitive neuroscience
  • Kaminsky Family Fund
    • Senior honors thesis research during a residence or leave term
  • John Lindsley Fund
    • Faculty-mentored field research in earth sciences
  • Lucas Family Fund for Undergraduate Research
    • Faculty-mentored research, particularly in the social sciences and humanities, or for interdisciplinary research
  • Robert G. McGuire III 1958 Memorial Fund
    • Research on the "Black Experience" during a leave term
  • Mellam Family Foundation Research Award
    • Scientific research during a leave term
  • John L. Murphy Family Fund
    • Research enhancing the excellence and diversity of the Dartmouth community
  • Trygve E. Myhren 1958 Tuck 1959 Undergraduate Research Fund
    • Research in support of environmental and sustainability science
  • Parsons Family Fund
    • Undergraduate research in biology
  • Porter Family Fund for Sustainability Science
    • Undergraduate research related to sustainability science or policy
  • Raynolds International Expedition Grant
    • Study, research or travel abroad for an academic purpose
  • Paul K. Richter and Evalyn E. Cook Richter Memorial Fund
    • Leave term independent research OR senior honors thesis research during a residence or leave term
  • Stifler Family Undergraduate Research Grant
    • Faculty-mentored research, particularly in environmental and health studies
  • Denis G. Sullivan Fund for Undergraduate Research
    • Faculty-mentored research in the arts and sciences, with a preference for projects in government
  • Winebaum Fund for Sustainability and Environmental Initiatives
    • Undergraduate research related to sustainability science or policy
  • Waterhouse Independent Research Grant
    • Leave term independent research
  • Mary Morgan Finegan '86 Sustainability Fund
    • For undergraduate research and design projects related to the development and operation of Dartmouth's Sustainable Living Center

Other Sources of Funding for Research

Last Updated: 7/25/14