Skip to main content

Undergraduate Advising and Research
Parker House, HB 6201
Hanover, NH
Phone:  603.646.3690
Fax:  603.646.8190
Email:  Undergraduate research

Instructions for final reports

Types of Final Reports

For ALL Undergraduate Research Grant Recipients:

*** All final reports must acknowledge funding from the specific grant ***

NOTE that you must submit a final report for any previous research grants in order to be eligible to apply for another grant.

Senior honors thesis or project

  • for traditional honors thesis, submit an electronic copy (.PDF) by email or DropBox (ONLY if the file is too big to email) to the Undergraduate Research email account.
  • for other types of honors projects, submit the project in the same format required by your major department

Poster presented at a research poster session (submit electronic copy as an email attachment)

  • Wetterhahn Science Symposium Poster Session (held annually in May): for research in the sciences (including PBS and neuroscience). Click HERE for information and to register.
  • some departments may have their own poster sessions, or students may present at a national meeting/conference
  • click here for guidelines on designing and printing a poster

Academic research paper

  • if you write a paper for your research mentor, or if you continue your research as an independent study for academic credit, you can submit a copy of the paper as your final report
  • the length of these will vary by academic department but are typically 10-20 double-spaced pages

Research summary (3-5 pages)

  • summarize your research project and your conclusions, and include a discussion of what you gained from doing the project (e.g. interaction with your faculty mentor, insights into a field of study, etc.)
  • discuss how the research is related to your academic and/or career goals
  • be sure to note how the grant helped you to accomplish your research


You are welcome to submit photos with your research report as we can use these on our website to highlight student research.  You may also opt to submit a photo journal as a final report (but note the exceptions listed below for final report formats).

Technical Recommendations

  • Always take the highest resolution possible for your camera.
  • If you have the option of saving photos in your camera as either a tiff or a jpg, select jpg (it uses less space).
  • Use a large capacity SD card (at least 8G).
  • Save photos to Dropbox or Shutterfly to maintain quality/resolution and to facilitate sharing.  Do not share your photos by inserting them into word docs or on social media sites as this reduces the resolution.

Subject Matter

  • Ask permission before taking your shot! If you are taking photos of children please ask parents / teachers first.
  • Get close to your subject; consider how you are framing your shot.
  • We want photos of you in action! This means photos of you conducting your research and exploring your surroundings.
  • When taking photos in clinical settings, do not take any photos of patients in which you could recognize the person (no direct shots of faces or other identifying information/features). Be sure to ask permission of both the patient as well as the staff before taking your shot.

Special Considerations for photos of children (these guidelines are to prevent misuse of these images online)

  • No full body shots of children that include head-toe view (not an issue with photos of adults).
  • It is preferable to take group shots of children together or children with an adult where the children's bodies are partially obscured. 

You may submit your final report in any of the formats described above with the following exceptions

  • HHMI Fellows:  these students must present a poster at the Wetterhahn Symposium if they are on campus in the spring.  If not, then they must submit an academic research paper or a research summary (as described above).
  • Sophomore Science Scholars: students in this program must present a poster at the Wetterhahn Symposium if they are on campus in the spring.  If not, then they must submit an academic research paper or a research summary (as described above).
  • Robert G. McGuire III 1958 Memorial Fund: students who receive this award must submit TWO bound copies of their senior honors thesis or submit an electronic copy of an academic research paper.

All final reports are due the 5th week of the academic term following the term of your research (with the exception of senior honors theses, which can be submitted upon completion of the thesis)
Submit reports as email attachments to "undergraduate research"

Last Updated: 8/5/15