Skip to main content

Undergraduate Advising and Research
Parker House, HB 6201
Hanover, NH
Phone:  603.646.3690
Fax:  603.646.8190

Undergraduate Research Grants

Next deadline: Wednesday, July 20, 2016

  • Deadline is for Fall 2016 projects.
  • Requests for faculty recommendations should be submitted ONE WEEK before the application deadline (via online form available on the UGAR Canvas site)
  • Note that funding is not awarded retroactively or for research in the same term as the application deadline.
  • Click here for additional program deadlines.

NEW: Applications submitted via Canvas. 

  • Instructions available on the application instructions page (link below). 
  • Note that the Canvas site will be closed after the deadline for each term and will reopen at the start of the next term.

Program Description

The Dean of Faculty office offers a number of grants for Dartmouth undergraduates to engage in independent research with a Dartmouth College faculty mentor. Grants are awarded for research during a leave term and/or for research related to a senior honors thesis.  Students are expected to be intellectually engaged and play a key role in the project.  Students who will be serving as research assistants for faculty projects should apply for other UGAR programs, such as Presidential Scholars, Junior Research Scholars, and Sophomore Science Scholars.


Leave term research (full-time): up to $4,500

  • students must be working directly with a Dartmouth faculty mentor on the research.  Students doing research with faculty at other institutions are not eligible for research grants.
  • research grants are intended for projects in which students are intellectually engaged and playing a key role in the project.  Students who will be serving as research assistants for faculty on faculty projects should apply for the part-time scholarship and assistantship programs, such as Presidential Scholars, Junior Research Scholars, and Sophomore Science Scholars
  • first year students are eligible to apply in the spring for funding in the summer after their first year, courtesy of funds from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (formerly the First Year Summer Research program), although these funds are limited
  • students are not eligible for funding for room and board for research being conducted in or near their home towns except in unusual circumstances
  • seniors are eligible for leave term grants in the summer before senior year but are not eligible for leave term grants during senior year.  Seniors are eligible for Honors Thesis grants during senior year (see below).

Senior Honors Thesis research: up to $2,000 per term

  • for Senior Honors Thesis research ONLY (can be for research during a leave term or residence term during senior year)
  • research must be during the student's senior year except in unusual circumstances (e.g. student is graduating in three years)
  • if your thesis has not yet been accepted by the grant application deadline, you may still submit your grant application.  If your application is selected for funding, UGAR will follow up with you on the status of your thesis proposal.
  • grants are awarded ONLY for costs directly related to the research, and NOT for cost of living (e.g. campus housing, meal plan, etc.) or an individual stipend
  • if you plan to do your thesis research during Winter break, use the winter application deadline.

Special categories of research funding

  • Group projects:  Applications for group projects are welcomed.  Blitz "undergraduate research" for information on how to submit an application for a group project.

Notes about research grants

  • In some cases, larger grants may be possible for projects that require a higher level of funding. Blitz “undergraduate research” to make an appointment if you think your project may qualify for additional funding. You must contact the office before submitting your application if you would like to apply for a larger grant.  You will also need to include a section in your written proposal justifying your budget request.
  • A portion of each award ($100) is withheld pending submission of the final report/thesis to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Research
  • Guidelines for final reports


  • Applicants must have completed one year of coursework (first-year students are eligible to apply for summer term research funding)
  • Students apply for funding the term before the one in which they intend to engage in the research. Funding will not be awarded retroactively or for applications submitted in the same term as the research.
  • Students who have previously received funding through UGAR must be in good standing in that program in order to be considered for a grant (e.g. submitted all required paperwork and final reports).
    • Note that students who have received a previous research grant (leave term or honors thesis) must submit a summary/final report in order to be eligible for a research grant in a later term.
  • Students are not eligible for research grants once they have completed enough credits for a Dartmouth undergraduate degree (for example, students who have completed a Dartmouth A.B. and are continuing coursework for a Dartmouth B.E. are not eligible for undergraduate research grants).
  • GPA is taken into consideration in awarding grants but is not the only factor.
  • Senior Fellows are not eligible for any of these grants during their fellowship year.
  • Mellon-Mays Fellows are not eligible for these grants except in unusual circumstances.
  • Applicants can receive a maximum of 2 leave term grants (students are eligible for senior honors thesis grants even if they have received 2 leave term grants).
  • Students MUST be working directly with a Dartmouth College faculty mentor on the research. This generally includes faculty at the Geisel School of Medicine/DHMC, Tuck School of Business, and Thayer School of Engineering. Please contact Undergraduate Research if you have questions about your advisor's eligibility to supervise your research. Students doing research with faculty at other (non-Dartmouth) institutions are not eligible for research grants. 
  • Grants cannot be used for tuition or instruction at Dartmouth or elsewhere.
  • In general, grants are not awarded for travel to countries on the U.S. State Department travel warning list.  If you are applying for funding to travel to a country or region under a U.S. State Department warning, a Travel Waiver is required, and application for a waiver must be submitted at the same time as the grant application materials are submitted.

Additional Information

  • Funding decisions are announced 2 weeks after the application deadline for applications submitted in summer, fall, and winter.  Due to the large number of applications submitted in the spring for summer term funding, decisions will be announced 3 weeks after the deadline rather than 2.
    • Note that this notification deadline is typically AFTER the deadline to apply for D-plan changes.  If you are applying for a leave term grant, consider the implications of receiving vs. not receiving a grant in terms of the impact on your D-plan.  There is a penalty to change from a residence term to a leave term after the registrar's deadline, but there is no penalty for changing from a leave term to a residence term.
  • Priority for leave term funding will go to sophomores and juniors (this includes the summer between junior and senior year).
  • Priority for leave term funding will go to students conducting unpaid research full-time.  Applications involving research that is less than 10 weeks and/or less than 35 hours per week will be considered after decisions are made about full-time research and only if funding is available.  Awards for part-time research will be pro-rated based on the number of weeks and/or number of hours of proposed research.
  • Leave term research grants are intended for unpaid research. For example, if your faculty research mentor is paying you hourly wages for the work related to your research, you are not eligible for a leave term research grant unless you have additional expenses not covered by your wages. This must be detailed on the budget form, and your wages must be included in the "additional sources of funding" section.
  • All tenured, tenure-track, and research-track faculty are eligible to supervise undergraduates in research.  The category of research-track faculty includes research assistant professors, research associate professors, and research professors.  Those with other types of appointments may supervise undergraduates with approval from the relevant department or program chair, director, or dean.  Examples of other types of appointments include: visiting faculty, adjunct faculty, emeritus faculty, lecturers, senior lecturers, instructors, and post-doctoral scholars.  This policy applies to faculty affiliated with the Arts & Sciences (undergraduate program), Thayer School of Engineering, Geisel School of Medicine, and Tuck School of Business.
  • For research projects involving international travel:
    • Pre-trip planning information as well as security and medical assistance while abroad is available through Dartmouth's subscription to International SOS.
    • Be sure to check on visa policies well in advance of any planned travel as the visa application process can be lengthy in some cases.
    • You will be required to submit your trip information on the Travel Registry Form.
  • Ownership of intellectual property created by students conducting research funded by a UGAR research grant shall be determined in accordance with the patent and copyright policies of Dartmouth College.
  • Your proposal should be written in such a way that it is comprehensible to non-experts in your field.
  • Funding for research grants is provided by multiple sources, including gifts from Dartmouth alumni.

CLICK HERE for information on how to apply for an undergraduate research grant

Last Updated: 6/10/16