Women's and Gender Studies Program (WGST)
Basic Structure of the Program
- WGST is an interdisciplinary program that draws from humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
- WGST offers a major, a minor, and a certificate. WGST can also be part of a modified major (but cannot be modified).
- Most courses are cross-listed with other departments. The program’s core courses are not cross-listed. These are: WGST 10 (Sex, Gender and Society), WGST 15 (Roots of Feminism), WGST 16 (Contemporary Issues in Feminism), WGST 80 (Advanced Seminar).
- WGST 10 (Sex, Gender and Society) serves as the introduction to the field. It is offered fall, winter and summer terms.
- WGST, in conjunction with AMES, offers a Foreign Study Program at the University of Hyderabad, India, beginning in winter 2011 and running each winter term. Students must apply for this program – see the Off-Campus Programs web site for a description, instructions, and application forms.
Information for the First-Year Student Who Plans on Pursuing Studies in WGST
- WGST 10 (Sex, Gender and Society) offered in fall, winter and summer terms, is the recommended introductory course, and is a prerequisite for the major, minor and certificate program.
- WGST 15 (Roots of Feminism: Texts and Contexts), and WGST 16 (Contemporary Issues in Feminism: Theory and Practice), are each offered only once a year, but are requirements for both the major and minor. Given the D-plan and off-campus study options, a student is encouraged to plan ahead.
Current Enrollments, Class Size, and Distributives
The Women's and Gender Studies home page