Tucker Student Spotlight
Student Director of DPCS
Major: Spanish and Biological Chemistry
Hometown: Long Island, NY
Read the full interview
Rollins Chapel Service Sermons
Dartmouth College Chapel
An Ecumenical Christian Congregation.
Chapel Services are held in Rollins Chapel each Thursday during the Spring Term.
All are welcome for this brief, thoughtful service of word, song, prayer and reflection.
Updated Sermons and reflections can be found on our blog.
Fall 2011 - The Bible & The Newspaper
Sundays, 5 - 5:30 PM.
Spring 2011 - What Gives You Hope?
Theme: What Gives You Hope?
- March 31: Richard Crocker, College Chaplain
- Apr. 7: Eliana Fishman, '11
- Apr 14: Karen Orrick, '11
- Apr 21: John Brett, '00/'11
- Apr 28: Madelyn Betz, Curate, St. Thomas Episcopal Church
- May 5: 11 AM, Lecture by Gary Dorrien, "The Spirit and Necessity of Liberal Theology"
- May 12: Charlie Clark '11
- May 19: Alison Boden, Dean of the Chapel, Princeton University
- May 26: Gregory Slayton, Adjunct Professor of Business Administration
- June 2: Kurt Nelson, Assistant Chaplain
Sermons: Winter 2011 - The Problems and Promise of Scripture.
- Jan. 9th: What is Scripture? Kurt Nelson and Richard Crocker
- Jan. 16th: Community Faith Celebration at 2 PM with Guest Diane Nash.
- Jan. 23rd: How is the Bible the Word of God? Kurt Nelson
- Jan. 30th: On Miracles. Richard Crocker
- Feb. 6th: Inerrancy and Literalism. with guest speaker Ryan Bouton, Christian Impact.
- Feb. 13th: An Unchanging Text in Changing Times. Kurt Nelson
- Feb. 20th: Scripture, Reason, Tradition
- Feb. 27th: Contradictions in Scripture? Richard Crocker
- March 6th: The Good Book? Kurt Nelson and Richard Crocker
Sermons: Fall 2010
Rollins Ecumenical Christian Chapel. Theme: Big Questions
- October 13: Who am I? Kurt Nelson
- September 19th: What Big Questions? Richard Crocker & Kurt Nelson
- September 22nd: How did you know that you were naked? Richard Crocker
- September 29th: Am I my brother's keeper? Kurt Nelson
- October 6th: What must I do to inherit eternal life? Richard Crocker
- October 13th: Who am I? Who ought I become? Kurt Nelson
- October 20th: Whom shall I send? Richard Crocker
- October 27th: What is truth? Richard Crocker
- November 3rd: Why have you forsaken me? Kurt Nelson
- November 10th: What can we do about the world's troubles? Richard Crocker
- November 17th: Are all religions the same? Richard Crocker
- December 1st: What about the end of the world? Richard Crocker & Kurt Nelson
Sermons: Spring 2010
Christian Vespers. Theme: The Meaning of the Resurrection.
- March 31st: Love is Awkward Sermon by Eric Schildge '11.
- May 3rd: Responding to the Meaning of the Resurrection by Charlie Clark '11.
- May 10th: The Joy of the Resurrection by Andrew Schuman '10.
- May 27th: Deacon Ambrose Powell, Orthodox Christian Fellowship.
- June 3rd: "The World is Not Fine" by Kurt Nelson.
Sermons: Winter 2010
Christian Vespers. Theme: Christian Community.
- January 7th: Opening worship hosted the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life. Sermon by Kurt Nelson.
- January 14th: Hosted by Our Savior Lutheran Church and Student Center. Meditations by Stephen Kirkpatrick '13 and Erich Hartfelder '12
- January 21st: Hosted by the United Church of Christ at Dartmouth College. Sermon by Rob Grabill.
- January 28th: Hosted by the Baptist Student Union
- February 4th: Hosted by the Dartmouth Quaker Student Fellowship
- February 11th:Hosted by Morning Glory Community Fellowship
- February 18th: Aquinas House Catholic Campus Ministry
- February 25th: Hosted by the Edgerton Episcopal Student Center, Sermon by Lexi Heywood, '11
- March 4th: Hosted by the Orthodox Christian Fellowship. Sermon by Deacon Ambrose Powell
- March 11th: Hosted by the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life. Sermon by Richard Crocker.
Sermons: Fall 2009
- September 24, 2009: Kurt Nelson, "I Have Called You Friends."
- October 1, 2009: Kurt Nelson, "With Friends Like These."
- October 15, 2009: Ryan Bouton, "The Commandment of Friendship"
- October 22, 2009: Eric Schildge, "The Friendship Cycle"
- October 29, 2009: Kurt Nelson, "On Friendship With The World"
- November 5, 2009: Deacon Ambrose Powell, "Vision of Friendship”
- November 12, 2009: Judy Williams, "Spiritual Friendship"
- November 19, 2009: Jolyon Rivoir-Pruszinski, "Lay down your life Dartmouth"
Sermons: Spring 2009
- 4/2: Kurt Nelson, Multi-Faith Advisor
- 4/9: Adam Holt '09
- Never Unloved: An Adoption Story: Nathan Empsall '09
- 4/23: Eric Schildge '10
- 4/30: Eileen Brody, Aquinas House Campus Minister
- 5/7: Pam Misener, Office of Pluralism and Leadership
- 5/14: Guy Collins, St. Thomas Epsicopal Church
- 5/21: Carla Bailey, United Church of Christ at Dartmouth
- 5/28: Dierre Upshaw, '09
- 6/4: Richard Crocker, College Chaplain "What's New With Love?"
Sermons: Winter 2009
Theme: The Variety of Faith
- January 8: Hannah McConnaughay, Trainer, Interfaith Youth Core
- January 15: Richard Crocker, College Chaplain and Dean of Tucker Foundation
- January 22: Judy Williams, Quaker Campus Ministry
- January 29: Eric Schildge '10
- February 5: Madelyn Betz, St Thomas
- February 12: Helen Damon Moore, Director of Service and Education, Tucker Foundation
- February 19: Tessa Winter, '09
- February 26: Kurt Nelson, Multi-Faith Advisor
- March 5: Bruce Johnson, Unitarian-Universalist Campus Ministry
- March 12: Kurt Nelson, Multi-Faith Advisor
Sermons: Fall 2008
- "Hope is Being Present" by Jesse Tichenor ‘06, November 20
- "Where Hope is Found" by Kurt Nelson, September 25
- "Suffering, Endurance, Character, Hope" by Rev. Dr. Richard Crocker, October 2
- "The Object of Our Hope" by Ryan Bouton, October 9
- "Waiting..." by Kurt Nelson, October 16
- Professor Edward Bradley, October 23
- Byron Breese, October 30
- Dierre, November 6
- November 13
- Jesse Tichenor '06, November 20
- No chapel, Happy Thanksgiving!, November 27
- Kurt Nelson, December 4
Sermons: Spring 2008
Theme: Consuming Religion: Faith, Desire and the Economy
- "Action Words" by Kurt Nelson, May 29, 2008
- "Commodification of Love" by Haley Bolin '08, May 15, 2008
- "Investing in Faith" by Randall Balmer, May 8, 2008
- "Forgive us our debts, and I mean money" by Rev. R. Byron Breese, May 1, 2008
- "Caring for Our Pants: Thoreau on Living In, But Not Of, the World" by David Nyweide, April 24, 2008
- "If You're So Rich, Why aren't you smart?" by Rev. Dr. Richard Crocker, April 17, 2008
- "Material Justice" by John Shellito, April 10, 2008
- "Marketplace Religion" by Ryan Bouton, April 3, 2008
- "The object of our desire..." by Kurt Nelson, March 27, 2008
Sermons: Winter 2008
Theme: Faith and Citizenship
- "Lasting Impact" by Kurt Nelson, March 6, 2008
- "Balancing God's call with the institutions of man" by Nathan Empsall, February 28, 2008
- "Faith and Environmental Stewardship" by John Shellito, February 7, 2008
- "Hoping for the Kingdom of God" by Kurt Nelson, February 21, 2008
- "The City on the Hill?" by Rev. Dr. Richard Crocker, January 31, 2008
- "In Good Faith" by Kurt Nelson, January 17, 2008
- “What Next?” by Kurt Nelson, January 10, 2008