Tucker Student Spotlight
Katie Chung '14
Student Director for Tucker Fellowships
Major: Romance Languages
Hometown: Tehachapi, CA
Read the full interview
Quakers: Society of Friends
"DQSF is an awesome way to escape the frenzy of Dartmouth life and reconnect with what is really important." - DQSF alumnus
- Our goal is to create an intimate, spiritually-centered community where students from Quaker backgrounds, and other interested, like-minded people, can come together to find a place of rest and renewal.
- The group follows the Quaker tradition of thinking of ourselves as "a community of seekers," rather than requiring adherence to any particular creed.
- We provide opportunities to learn and grow in an understanding of the Divine, of right living, and of the meaning and purpose of our lives, without prescribing a particular veiwpoint as "the right answer."
- We explore the traditional Quaker values of peace, integrity, simplicity, equality and community. Christianity and the Bible, while a part of the historic roots of the Society of Friends, are elements of faith that are approached with openness to a diversity of beliefs.
- Fellowship Dinners - the DQSF group meets on a regular basis for dinner & conversation. We have occasional speakers and/or planned topics, but most of what we do is enjoy each other's company and support each other in handling the challenges of life at Dartmouth.
- We sponsor events, participate in multi-faith organizing, and take part in other activities, such as retreats and field trips, based on what students want to do.
- Meetings for Worship with Hanover Friends Meeting take place on Sundays at 10 am at the meetinghouse, 43 Lebanon St, next to the High School, just two blocks from campus. Mid-week meetings, a more intimate worship, take place on Thursday evenings from 7-8 PM.
Hanover Friends Meeting- Call (603-643-4138) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Quaker Student Fellowship- Please e-mail Judy Anne Williams (email@example.com)