Tucker Student Spotlight
Katie Chung '14
Student Director for Tucker Fellowships
Major: Romance Languages
Hometown: Tehachapi, CA
Read the full interview
The Southeast State Correctional Facility is a men’s minimum security prison located about 30 minutes from Dartmouth in Windsor, VT. Prison Project aims to provide a stable source of enrichment and empowerment to the men through the many programs we run at the facility.
Such programs are:
- Creative Writing: Dartmouth students provide prompts and lead sharing and discussion of authors' work.
- World of Work: Dartmouth students facilitate this job re-entry curriculum that helps inmates to prepare to enter/re-enter the job force. Volunteers help inmates to identify the education programs they can participate in to receive certain vocational certifications, assist with resume writing and host mock job interviews.
- The Video Project: filming fathers reading children’s books. This footage is then edited by volunteers and transferred to DVD and sent to their children as a “bedtime story”.
- Recreation: Volunteers encourage teamwork and communication in a variety of activities such as basketball, volleyball, etc.
The ultimate goal of the project is to create an opportunity for change. Residents gain self-esteem, motivation, and confidence through developing a connection to Prison Project volunteers and the world outside prison walls.
- Mentors attend mandatory training and evaluation meetings
- 2-3 hours per week for volunteering at the prison
- An additional 1-2 hours per term for training, discussion and de-briefing meetings
- If eligible, volunteers are required to become driver approved
- Access to Tucker vehicles (after driver approval) is available
- Blitz Prison Project
- Call 603-646-3350
- Stop by the Tucker Foundation, South Fairbanks Hall