Tucker Student Spotlight
Janice Yip '15
Student Director for Nicaragua CCESP
Major: Computer Engineering
Hometown: San Jose, CA
Read the full interview
About Language in Motion
The Language in Motion (LIM) program places Dartmouth students who have had intercultural experiences in middle and high-school classrooms to make presentations on their experiences. LIM currently partners with four schools: Lebanon High School, Lebanon, N.H.; Rivendell Academy, Orford, N.H.; Stevens High School, Claremont, N.H.; and Windsor High School, Windsor, VT.
LIM came to Dartmouth in 2009 as a replication of the program started by Dartmouth alumnus Deb Roney '73 at Juniata College in Huntington, Pa. The Dartmouth program has grown from 14 presenters reaching over 250 high school students to 25 presenters reaching over 450 students. In its pilot year, 97 percent of surveyed high school students indicated wanting to see additional LIM presentations and 100 percent of teachers agreed that the presentations were valuable additions to their curriculum.
- To open middle and high school students' eyes to different cultures and languages.
- To make students aware of the unique intercultural experiences and opportunities college can provide.
- To work with partner secondary school teachers to positively supplement current coursework with engaging undergraduate presentations focused on language and culture.
- To provide partner teachers with additional resources and varied professional development opportunities.
- To allow space for Dartmouth undergraduates to make meaning of their personal cross-cultural experiences through reflection and dialogue, while fostering a community of undergraduates who are passionate about cross-cultural exploration and appreciation.
- To help Dartmouth undergraduates better understand the Upper Valley by engaging with students from local, under-resourced middle and high schools.
- To help Dartmouth undergraduates explore their own interests in civic engagement, social justice and education-related career fields.
- To enhance collaboration among Dartmouth College administrative and academic departments focused on intercultural education and foreign language.
- To foster collaboration among faculty at participating middle and high schools, and between them and faculty at Dartmouth College.