Tucker Student Spotlight
Student Director of Public Relations
Hometown: Auckland, New Zealand
Read the full interview
Education programs are a good fit for those who enjoy working with students, whether they are children or adults. These programs usually involve tutoring and tutoring or small group instruction. It should be noted, however, that not all of the education programs involve teaching academics, but do revolve in some way around education or an educational institution.
- America Reads Allows students in the Federal Work-Study Program to be employed as in-school tutors and after-school program aides in selected local schools, providing desperately needed reading assistance. Participation with America Reads is a wonderful way to turn a Work-Study job requirement into something of value to the local community and to your own education.
- CoderDojo aims to introduce local youth to the fun and exciting world of computer programming. Volunteers travel to local schools to run weekly Dojo sessions for middle school students. With a relaxed, club-like structure and an emphasis on creating right from the start, kids' skills and self-confidence grow in front of your eyes.
- Dartmouth Junior Lego League works to increase children's knowledge of engineering and physics through team-based challenges. Dartmouth volunteers coach teams through finding a solution to a real-world challenge using LEGO elements.
- Early College Awareness (ECA) seeks to promote higher education among students at Mascoma Valley Regional High School. Volunteers offer workshops for students beginning in their junior year and continue to work with them through the college application process in the fall of their senior year. In addition to providing educational activities that explore different types of higher education, the college experience, and the financial resources available for those pursuing higher education, volunteers also offer SAT prep through the Let's Get Ready program (see below).
- Let's Get Ready is a national program that provides SAT tutoring to eligible students at Mascoma Valley Regional High School. Volunteer "coaches" offer weekly educational sessions that cover all sections of the SAT test, as well as college access programming. Let's Get Ready equips, mobilizes, and empowers students, helping them to get into college.
- Money $mart delivers comprehensive financial education programs to Upper Valley residents of all ages through a series of seminars covering topics including credit, banking, spending & saving, and goal setting, among others. No prior financial experience is required.
- Prison Project volunteers travel weekly to Southeast State Correctional Facility in Windsor, VT to serve as teachers, discussion leaders, and companions for inmates. Volunteers also travel to Dismas House in Hartford, VT to cook and share a meal with residents.