Related Funded Opportunites
Tucker Student Spotlight
Joanna Schneider '13
Student Director forBig Brother, Big Sister
Major: Sociology modified with Psychology; Minor in Chemistry
Other Campus Involvements: DOC; General Manager of Big Green Bus
Fun fact: She got involved in Big Brother, Big Sister in high school, over 7 years ago!
Read the full interview.
Tucker Fellowship Reflections
"If this kind of forgiveness and true reconciliation is possible in a country so recently torn apart by genocide, then why can't that kind of compassion be possible everywhere? I've found that this work has made me think of those in my own life who I have problems with and has challenged me to approach those people with renewed compassion and forgiveness. Reconciliation is necessary everywhere, but only after Rwanda do I know how possible it is." Chris Valleau '12, Fellow with REACH in Kigali, Rwanda.
Reflection plays a big role in the Tucker Fellowship experience. For a glimpse into the experiences of a few recently returned Tucker Fellows, check out their "mini-presentations" that feature photos, quotes & a quick overview of what their project was about:
- Chris Valleau '12, Summer 2011 Fellow with REACH in Kigali, Rwanda
- Eva Xiao '14, Summer 2011 Fellow with the Village Education Project in Otavalo, Ecuador
- Miriam Kilimo '14, Summer 2011 Fellow with the Marakwet Girls and Women Project, Kenya
At the conclusion of their fellowship, Tucker Fellows are also each required to write a reflection paper describing what they have experienced and learned. Provided below are links to several exceptional reflection papers. If you are considering applying for a Tucker Fellowship, these papers give an indication of what you might expect as a fellow.
- Benjamin Paly '11, Winter 2009 Fellow with DESEA, Cuzco, Peru
- Jamie Hwang '10, Spring 2009 Fellow, Ethiopia
- Shreya Patel '07, Winter 2005 Fellow with Cosmic Volunteers, Ecuador and Himalayan Health Exchange, India.
- Ben Schwartz '06, Winter 2005 Fellow with Global Volunteer Network, Kpone, Ghana.
- Kathryn Adams, Summer 2003 Fellow at the Village of Hope, Morocco.
- Benjamin L. Mustin '04, Winter 2003 Fellow with Fundación Indígena Amauta, Sucre, Bolivia.