Related Funded Opportunities
Tucker Student Spotlight
Assistant for Multi-Faith Programs
Major: Religion Major and Studio Art Minor
Hometown: New York City, NY
Read the full interview
YES Internship Summer 2014
Are you passionate about mentoring and youth empowerment? Interested in helping motivated youth realize their educational and career goals?
Apply to be a YES Intern in New York City this summer! Applications due April 30th
An internship experience is available at the Youth Employment Summer (YES) Program, a summer enrichment program for youth in New York City. YES works with the Children's Aid Society, a non-profit organization that serves inner city youth, to give motivated high school students in New York City the opportunity to work in a professional office during the summer. The Dartmouth intern serves as a liaison between the program and the Children's Aid Society. He/she oversees the YES program and coordinates students' pre-employment screenings, training sessions, and employer follow-ups. The intern also organizes activities as part of a Friday enrichment program for YES participants; past programs have included tours of the MTV studios, visits to the Museum of Natural History, and a weekend visit to Dartmouth. This internship is a paid opportunity ($4,000 to cover living & travel expenses) through the DPCS Internship program of the Tucker Foundation. Any questions about the program should be directed to DPCS@Dartmouth. For more information generally, visit: http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/hope-leadership-academy/career-development/yes-program
"More than anything, I believe the YES Program provides its participants with a bolstered identity and sense of agency in a world they usually see as stifling. YES allows them to realize that, contrary to the outside world's expectations, they are capable of accomplishing lofty goals and achieving success." -- Jeremy Guardiola '12, former YES Intern (summer 2011)
- The YES intern oversees the YES program, in collaboration with Children's Aid Society staff, and helps students secure summer employment, provides trainings and supports the intern throughout the experience.
- The YES Intern also organizes programs, field trips and professional development sessions on Fridays when the student interns are not working. The YES Intern also organizes a 3-day visit to Dartmouth College in early August.
- Michael Stern '59, who sponsors the YES program, serves as the YES Intern's alumni mentor and meets with the YES Intern to provide direction and guidance as needed.
Qualifications. Applicants should:
- Have a commitment to working with young people & serving as an effective role model.
- Be well organized and willing to take initiative as needed.
- Work well independently and as part of a team.
- Be willing to serve as an enthusiastic resource for students -- both while they are in their summer jobs, during Friday activities, and in introducing them to college life at Dartmouth.
- Demonstrate maturity, creativity and confidence.
- Applications for the YES internship program are due Wednesday, April 30th @ 12 PM. Download the application here.
- A resume and recommendation form/letter are also required and due by April 30th.
- All materials should be blitzed to DPCS@Dartmouth.edu.
- Select applicants will be invited to an interview in early May, with decisions expected by May 9th.