Compiled by Charles Sullivan, Assistant Professor, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College
Finding Manufacturers and Parts
- Thomas Register, a huge index to all kinds of industrial products. If you want to
find a company who makes a type of part or device you need, this is the first place to look.
- IC Master, an index to integrated circuits by function. Rather than designing a circuit,
use this index to find a ready-made IC that does what you want.
- DigiKey, an electronics
distributor whose catalog is a great resource; their website includes links
to manufacturers web sites.
- Design Info, a searchable database of specifications in a limited number of product areas.
- MatWeb, a large searchable database of
materials with many properties listed. Search for the property you need,
or check out a material you are interested in using.
Environmental impacts of common materials, including fabrics, plastics,
metals, etc., from Patagonia's work on their products.
The assessment of their environmental impacts is brief, but a good start.
Searching Technical Literature and Patents
- INSPEC database, a comprehensive index to
technical literature in electrical engineering and physics. Access from Dartmouth College.
- IBM Patent Server, Index to US patents.
Topics in Good Design
- Human Factors
- Design for Environment and Sustainability
has done some very careful study of the environmental impacts of there products,
and worked hard to improve them. This site includes information on their program and a very useful
a list of materials, including fabrics, plastics, metals, etc.,
with a brief assessment of their environmental impacts.
- McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry.
A company dedicated to "ecologically intelligent design,"
maintains this site explaining their philosophy, and including
links to McDonough's writings
(highly recommended) on
Other lists of links
Thayer School home page
e-mail to Charles.R.Sullivan@dartmouth.edu
Last Update Oct 24, 1999