Transfer Credit Information
Transfer credit from the Sociology Department for courses offered at other colleges or universities may be considered in accordance with the guidelines laid out in the ORC. The steps to request approval for transfer credits are as follows:
- Obtain the transfer credit approval form from the Registrar's office
- Fill out the form with the courses you intend to transfer and obtain a sample syllabus for the course.
- Bring the completed transfer credit approval form and the course syllabus to the Sociology Department for consideration by the Chair during office hours.
- Return the signed form to the Registrar. All steps should be completed before the transfer term.
Also, please note the following:
- Off-Limits Courses: The Sociology Department does NOT generally grant transfer credit for Sociology 1, 2, 10, 11, 15 and 16.
- The Sociology Department will NOT generally grant transfer credit for courses that do not meet the typical work load of courses that we offer (i.e., amount and quality of reading, examinations, papers, etc.). In order to determine the work load for a transfer course, you must provide a copy of a syllabus from that course with enough information and detail for the Department to make that determination.
- Upon approval by the Chair, a maximum of two course credits for work taken elsewhere may be counted toward the major and a maximum of one course credit for work taken elsewhere may be counted toward the minor. Modified majors must complete at least five sociology courses at Dartmouth, beyond the prerequisite.
- Students contemplating taking major, modified major and minor courses elsewhere should consult with the Chair well in advance to assure that appropriate transfer credits will be accepted. For further information about the Sociology Department's policies on transfer credits, speak with the Chair.