Professor of Sociology
6104 Silsby - Room 106
Hanover, NH 03755
Queens College, B.A., 1975
University of Michigan, Ph.D., 1982
Professor Parsa presented an ILEAD summer lecture entitled "Failed Revolution, Failed Reform. What's Next for Iran?" Read The Dartmouth article describing the event.
Courses Taught at Dartmouth
- Socy 7 FS: 20th Century Revolutions (syllabus)
- Socy 22 The Sociology of International Development (syllabus)
- Socy 23 Social Movements (syllabus)
- Socy 25 Democracy and Democratization in Developing Countries (syllabus)
- Socy 49.1 Social Origins and Outcomes of Islamic Fundamentalism (syllabus)
- Socy 26 Capitalism, Prosperity and Crisis (syllabus)
- Devlet, Ideoloji ve Devrim: Iran, Nikaragua ve Filipinler Devrimlerinin Karsilastirmali Analizi. Istanbul: Iletisim Yayinlari, 2004.
- States, Ideologies, and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of Iran, Nicaragua, and the Philippines. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000. (Reviews available as an Adobe.pdf download)
- Social Origins of the Iranian Revolution. Rutgers University Press, 1989. (Reviews available as an Adobe.pdf download)
- "Entrepreneurs and Democratization: Iran and the Philippines." Comp. Studies in Society & History, Vol 37(4), October 1995.
- "Ideology and Revolution in Iran." Middle East Report, Vol 25(5), 1995.
- "Conversion or Coalition? Ideology in the Iranian and Nicaraguan Revolutions." Political Power & Social Theory 9, 1995.
- "Komiteh," in Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World, Oxford Univ. Press, 1995.
Faculty Research and Teaching Interests
- Political sociology
- Social change and social movements
- Comparative and historical sociology
- International development
- Democracy and democratization