Assistant Professor of Sociology
Indiana University, PhD, 2006
Indiana University, MA Sociology, 2001
Tulane University, BA Sociology and Women's Studies, 1999
Courses to be taught
- Janice McCabe. Forthcoming. "Making Theory Relevant: The Gender Attitude and Belief Inventory." Teaching Sociology. Scheduled for Volume 41, Number 3 (July 2013). Click here for the GABI teaching tool and instructions.
- Koji Ueno, Eric R. Wright, Matthew Gayman, and Janice McCabe. 2012. "Segregation in Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Youth's Personal Networks: Testing Structural Constraint, Choice Homophily, and Compartmentalization Hypotheses." Social Forces 90(3):971-991.
- Christian Vaccaro, Douglas Schrock, and Janice McCabe.2011. "Managing Emotional Manhood: Fighting and Fostering Fear in Mixed Martial Arts."Social Psychology Quarterly 74(4):414-437.
- Janice McCabe. 2011. "Doing Multiculturalism: An Interactionist Analysis of the Practices of a Multicultural Sorority." Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 40(5):521-549.
- Janice McCabe, Karin Brewster, and Kathryn Harker Tillman.2011. "Patterns and Correlates of Same-Sex Sexual Activity among U. S. Teens and Young Adults."Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 43(3):142-150.
- John Bancroft, J. Scott Long, and Janice McCabe.2011."Sexual Well-Being:A Comparison of U.S. Black and White Women in Heterosexual Relationships."Archives of Sexual Behavior 40(4):725-740.
- Janice McCabe, Emily Fairchild, Liz Grauerholz, Bernice Pescosolido, and Daniel Tope. 2011. "Gender in Twentieth-Century Children's Books: Patterns of Disparity in Titles and Central Characters." Gender & Society 25(2):197-226.
- Janice McCabe, Amanda E. Tanner, and Julia Heiman.2010."The Impact of Gender Expectations on Meanings of Sex and Sexuality: Results from a Cognitive Interview Study."Sex Roles 62(3-4):252-263.
- Janice McCabe.2009."Racial and Gender Microaggressions on a Predominantly-White Campus: Experiences of Black, Latina/o and White Undergraduates."Race, Gender & Class 16(1):133-151.
- Janice McCabe.2005."What's in a Label? The Relationship between Feminist Self-Identification and 'Feminist' Attitudes among U.S. Women and Men."Gender & Society 19(4):480-505.
- Janice McCabe.2005."Who are the Experts? Medicalization in Teen Magazine Advice Columns." Sociological Studies in Children and Youth 11:153-191.
- Donna Eder and Janice McCabe.2004."Bridging Social and Academic Identities: Peer Relations, Friendship, and Educational Experiences." Pp. 207-236 in Educating Adolescents: Challenges and Strategies, edited by Tim Urdan and Frank Pajares. Adolescence and Education Volume IV. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.