Kathryn J. Lively
Associate Professor, Sociology
6104 Silsby - Room 103
Hanover, NH 03755
Vanderbilt University, Ph.D., 1999
Vanderbilt University, M.A., 1996
University of Tulsa, B.A., 1993
Curriculum vitae (PDF format, requires free Acrobat Reader)
2011 Paper Award, Mental Health Section, American Sociological Association for Robin W. Simon and Kathryn J. Lively. 2010. “Investigating the Relationships Among Sex, Anger, and Depression.” Social Forces 88: 1543-1568.
2011 Chair Elect, Emotions Section, American Sociological Association.
2008-2009 winner of the C. Troy Shaver '69 Fellowship, established by Mr. Shaver to recognize and reward younger members of the faculty whose teaching is true to the highest standards of Dartmouth's educational mission and whose scholarly or creative activities contribute significantly to the advancement of their respective disciplines.
Courses Taught at Dartmouth
Summer 2012: Kathryn Lively was a finalist for the 12th Annual Rosabeth Moss Kanter Award for Excellence in Work-Family Research. She received the nomination for the article "Equity, Emotion, and Household Division of Labor" co-written with Lala Steelman and Brian Powell and published in Social Psychology Quarterly.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2013. "Emotion and Social Interaction." Chapter 7 in Kent L. Sandstrom, Kathryn J. Lively, Daniel D. Martin and Gary Alan Fine's Selves, Symbols, and Society. Oxford University Press.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2013. "Social and Cultural Influences: Gender Effects on Emotion Labor at Work and at Home." In Alicia Grandey, James A. Diefendorff, and Deborah Rupp (Eds.). Emotional Labor in the 21st Century: Diverse Perspectives on Emotion Regulation at Work. New York, NY: Psychology Press/Routledge.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2011. "Emotion" in Oxford Bibliographies Online: Sociology Module. Ed. EIC Name. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Lively, Kathryn J. and Ellen Granberg. 2011. "Introduction to Peggy Thoits: Recipient of the 2010 Cooley- Mead Award." Social Psychology Quarterly 74: 2-5.
- Lively, Kathryn J. and Carrie Smith. 2011. “Identity and Illness.” In Bernice Pescosolido, Jack K. Martin, Jane D. McLeod, and Anne Rogers [Eds.] "The Handbook of the Sociology of Health, Illness, & Healing: Blueprint for the 21st Century." New York: Springer.
- Lively, Kathryn J., Lala Steelman, and Brian Powell. 2010. “Equity, Emotion, and the Household Division of Labor.” Social Psychology Quarterly 73: 358-379.
- Simon, Robin W. and Kathryn J. Lively. 2010. “Investigating the Relationships Among Sex, Anger, and Depression.” Social Forces 88: 1543-1568.
- Cheng, Simon and Kathryn J. Lively. 2009. “Multiracial Self-identification and Adolescent Outcomes: Revisiting the Marginal Man Thesis.” Social Forces 88: 61-98.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2008. “Emotional Segueing and the Management of Emotion, By Women and Men.” Social Forces 87:911-36.
- Lively, Kathryn J., Brian Powell, Glaudia Geist, and Lala Carr Steelman. 2008. "Inequity among Intimates." in Karen Hegtvedt and Jody Clay-Warner [Eds.] Advances in Group Processes 25: 87-116.
- Lively, Kathryn J. "Emotional Expression: The Influence of "Others" In Hierarchical Work Settings." 2008. pages 287-306 in Dawn Robinson and Jody Clay-Warner [Eds.] Social Structure and Emotion. Elsevier Press.
- Gee, Gilbert, Kathryn J. Lively, Larissa Larson, Jennifer Keith, Jana Stone, and Kara MacLeod. 2007. “Hungry for Respect: Food Insufficiency, Discrimination, and Depression.” Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice 2: 1-20.
- McLeod, Jane D. and Kathryn J. Lively. 2007. “Social Psychology and Stress Research.” Pages 275-303 in William R. Avison’s, Jane D. McLeod, and Bernice A. Pescosolido’s [Eds.] Mental Health, Social Mirror. Springer Press.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2006 “Emotions in the Workplace.” Pages 569-90 in Jan E. Stets and Jonathan H. Turner’s (Eds.) Handbook of the Sociology of Emotions. Springer Press.
- Lively, Kathryn J. and Brian Powell. 2006. "Emotional Expression at Work and at Home: Domain, Status or Individual Characteristics?" Social Psychology Quarterly 69: 17-38.
- Lively, Kathryn J. and David R. Heise. 2004. “Sociological Realms of Emotional Experience.” American Journal of Sociology 109:1109-36. **Recipient of the 2005 Outstanding Recent Contribution Award by the American Sociology Association’s Emotion Section**
- McLeod, Jane D. and Kathryn J. Lively. 2003. “Social Structure and Personality.” Handbook of Social Psychology, John DeLamater (Ed.), Kluwer-Plenum.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2002. “Client Contact and Emotional Labor: Upsetting the Balance and Evening the Field.” Work and Occupations, Vol 29: 198-225.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2001. “Occupational Claims to Professionalism: The Case of Paralegals.” Symbolic Interaction. Vol. 24: 343-66. **Reprinted in Douglas Harper and Helene Lawson's (Eds.) The Culture of Work. Rowman & Littlefield Press **
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2000. “Reciprocal Emotion Management: Working Together to Maintain Stratification in Private Law Firms." Work and Occupations. Vol. 27: 32-63.
- Griffin, Larry, Chris Caplinger, Kathryn Lively, Nancy Malcom, Darren McDaniel and Candice Nelsen. 1997. "Comparative-Historical Research and Scientific Inference: Disfranchisement in the U.S. South as a Test Case." Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History. Vol. 20, 1, (Winter).
- Lively, Kathryn J. Forthcoming. "Book Review: Paid to Party: Working Time and Emotion in Direct Home Sales." by Jamie L. Mullaney and Janet Hinson Shope." Work and Occupations (2013).
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2012. "Book Review: Playing on the Edge: Sadomasochism, Risk, and Intimacy, by Staci Newmahr." Symbolic Interaction, 35, 4: 493-496.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2004. “Book Review: Heroic Efforts: The Emotional Culture of Search and Rescue Volunteers, by Jennifer Lois.” Social Forces, 83, 1: 449-451.
- Lively, Kathryn J. 2001. “Book Review: Emotions in the Workplace: Research, Theory, and Practice, edited by Ashkanasy, Hartel, and Zerbe.” Work and Occupations, Vol. 28, 4.
Papers in Progress
McLeod, Jane, Timothy Hallett, and Kathryn J. Lively. "The Unmet Potential of Social Structure and Personality Research." Revise and Resubmit.
Faculty Research and Teaching Interests
- Social Psychology
- Sociology of Emotion
- Medical Sociology
- Sociology of Mental Health
- Work, Occupations and Professions