Adventuring Beyond Hanover
Once you’ve got the feel of things on campus, it might not take long for you to weary of fraternity basements, movie nights, or our quaint little town (that shuts down at about 8 pm). Fortunately, there are a plethora of options in our happy little New England environment.
Woodstock is a cute town not too far away with many little shops. It makes for a good day excursion, and is a great place to take visiting parents. In Woodstock, be sure to take in:
- The Mountain Creamery old-fashioned diner
- Bentley’s soda shoppe and florist
- Billings Farm and Museum; Take a tour of an old-fashioned operating farm
- Fairlee Drive-In Movie Theater
Road Trip-worthy Places
- Montpelier (Vermont State Capital)
- Ben & Jerry’s factory in Waterbury, VT
- Barre Granite Quarrys (tours available)
- Manchester Outlets (VT)
- Lake Champlain, Lake George, the New Hampshire seashore, the Maine Coast, and Freeport
- The Berkshires(Massachusetts)
- Montreal (visit Canada!)
For those seeking a vigorous outdoor activity to break up the monotony of study, you’ve come to the right geographic location.
- Dartmouth Skiway (only about 15 minutes away, Dartmouth's very own ski resort!)
- Killington (less than an hour, located in Vermont, and world famous!)
- Whaleback (great for snowboarding; only 10 mi away on 89S with night skiing!)
- Suicide Six (Woodstock)
DDartmouth is located near trailheads to the Appalachian trail, which makes camping and hiking (during some months of the year) a very easy and affordable activity. There are also many campsites and trails in the immediate area. Cabins can be rented through the DOC at the Moosilauke lodge as well, if sleeping under the stars isn’t exactly you’re idea of a fun time. Check with the DOC for backpacking/hiking/camping trips. You can also rent equipment relatively cheaply from them.
Dining Away from DDS and Hanover’s Main Street
See: Restaurants (Scroll to the bottom)