Student Employee Appreciation Week: April 17-23, 2016
Celebrate the contributions of our student employees!
Announcing our Festival for Student Employees:
On Tuesday, April 19, Dartmouth College will honor the hard work of each and every student employee during the Student Employee Appreciation Festival, which will be from 3:30 - 5pm in Paganucci Lounge.
The first 200 student employees to arrive will receive a free gift. All attending student employees are eligible for great raffle prizes, including the grand prize of an iPad.
The event is sponsored by the Student Employment Office and Dartmouth Dining Services, with prizes provided by the Tucker Foundation, Dartmouth Athletics, EBAs, Umpleby's, Stinson's Store & Deli, Dan & Whit's, with the list continuing to grow.
All student employees are invited to attend!
back to top
Student Employee Essay Contest
Create a short essay (250-500 words) responding to a prompt in one of the categories listed below:
Category One: Academic/Professional Impact
- How has what you’ve learned on your job enhanced what you’ve learned in your classes? – feel free to describe classes in general, or use one or two classes as examples
- What skill(s) or knowledge have you developed in your student job that you can articulate in your resume? – you are encouraged to use more than one example and where applicable, link it to your career aspirations
Category Two: Personal Impact
- What do you want others to know about working at Dartmouth? – consider an audience of faculty, staff, students, or prospective students
- How has working at Dartmouth impacted you? – share your personal story
- Essays must be the student’s original work and in respond to one of the prompts above.
- Essays must be submitted electronically to Student.Employment.Office@dartmouth.edu by 5pm on Friday, April 8, 2016.*
- Eligibility: This short essay contest is open only to 2015-2016 Dartmouth student employees, with a limit of one entry per person.
- Essays must be typed and no more than 500 words in length.
- Essays must be written from your own experience in the first person. We want real stories about real life… from you.
- Entries must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay —whatever you think best conveys your message. Entries must clearly indicate which prompt is being used.
- Once entered, essays will become part of the Student Employment Office’s public content property and will not be returned. By entering, students agree and understand that SEO may reprint the essays (in part or in whole) in publications and/or use them at workshops/presentations. Appropriate citations will be given to the writers.
- Judging will be by a committee of Dartmouth College staff members.
One winner will be chosen for each of the two categories. A prize in the amount of $150 will be awarded to each of the 2 winners. Winners will be contacted in spring 2015*. All contest participants will be entered into the 2015-2016 Student Employee Recognition Festival grand prize drawing for an iPad, held on Tuesday, April 19, 2016. You do not need to be present to win.
Entries may be shared at the Student Employee Recognition Festival and posted on the web
The Fine Print (Authorization): By entrant(s) submitting the essay, it is agreed that Dartmouth College, has the right to use, reproduce, reprint, distribute, and display the essay content for any organizational purpose, without notification, consent, or compensation to the entrant. A Dartmouth College, organizational purpose includes, but is not limited to, sharing the essay on the internet, at conferences, or other venues, regardless of whether fees are charged.
Questions? Contact the Student Employment Office at Dartmouth College.
* Deadlines may be extended. Notice of any extended deadline will be published on the Dartmouth College Student Employment web site.
back to top
Are you an employer, looking for ideas on how to celebrate? Here are a few:
- Prepare "care packages" made up of crackers, cookies, trail mix, or candy. Or purchase one made for you by our Student Employee Appreciation Week Planning Team! Order online on a first-come, first-serve basis. All orders must be placed by April 8, 2016.
- Hold your own awards ceremony and design awards for unique categories (i.e., Best Attendance, Best Customer Service, Most Organized, etc.).
- Send a personalized thank you note or an e-card stating your appreciation. (www.bluemountain.com and www.americangreetings.com are a few of the places to find free e-cards.)
- Decorate office doors or bulletin boards with posters expressing appreciation to your student workers and listing all their names.
- Take your student employees out to lunch or have a pizza party.
- Bring in a dessert for your student employees.
- Award or raffle off small tokens of appreciation, such as movie tickets or gift cards (bookstores, coffee shops, gas cards if they have a car, etc.).
- Get your student employee a Dartmouth T-Shirt or Sweatshirt.
- Have balloons or flowers at the student worker's desk one day.
- Create a large thank you card and have your staff sign it.
- Organize a social outing for all your student employees.
- Pat on the Back - Draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper. Photocopy enough copies for all students in your office. On each hand write a note that tells the student why they deserve a "Pat on the Back".
- Treat Day – organize a potluck! Have the full-time staff bring in treats/lunch for student workers.
- Take pictures - post employee pictures and list what wonderful things they do for your department. Place on your staff bulletin board if you have one.
- Have a secret pal that does little things for them throughout the week. At the end of the week, host a lunch to reveal secret pals!
- Candy Ideas:
- "You are worth 100 Grand!" (100 Grand)
- "You are out of this world!" (Mars or Milky Way)
- "Thanks for the Mounds of work you do!" (Mounds)
- "We love you!!! XOXO" (Hershey's Hugs and Kisses)
- "You deserve an extra Payday!" (Payday)
- "Thanks for always being willing to do Extra!" (Extra Gum)
- "You are a Joy!" (Almond Joy)
back to top