In the Event of a Fire:
Pull Down the Fire Alarm and/or Call 911
If you see smoke or flames:
Use CARE: Contain, Activate, Report, Evacuate
- Contain the fire by closing all doors as you leave
- Activate the nearest Fire Alarm pull station (Pull stations are located near all building exits)
- Report the fire by dialing 911
- Evacuate or extinguish (In most cases, it is best to Evacuate)
Use a Fire Extinguisher only when:
- You have been trained
- You have your back to an unobstructed exit
- You have a fully charged and proper type unit for the fire you are fighting
- The fire is contained, and you have reported the fire by Fire Alarm or 911 activation
- Everyone else has left the area
- There is little smoke or flames
Never fight a fire if:
- You lack a safe way to escape should your efforts fail
- It has left its source of origin
- You are unsure of the type of extinguisher you need or have
- If you can’t control the fire within 30 seconds, abandon your efforts, close the door(s) and evacuate immediately.
- Upon alarm activation, leave the building immediately!
- Do not "investigate" the source of the alarm, just leave!
- On your way out close all doors behind you to contain the fire
- Walk, do not run, to the nearest exit
- Never use an elevator to exit a building during a fire alarm
- Do not re-enter the building for any reason until told it is safe to do so
Remember: “Safety and Security” is also YOUR responsibility.