Skip to main content


Related Websites

Scholarship Advising
Parker House, HB 6201
Room 106
Hanover, NH
Phone:  603.646.1622
Fax:  603.646.8190
Email: scholarship advising
Home >

Udall Scholarship


The Morris K. Udall and Stewart L. Udall Foundation expects to award 60 scholarships of up to $7000 to sophomore and junior level college students committed to careers related to the environment, tribal public policy, or Native American health care.  For additional information, see the Udall Foundation Facebook group, which has application advice as well as information about American Indian and Alaska Native students in higher education. 

Scholarships are offered in three categories:

  • Environment: for students with demonstrated commitment to the environment-related careers, including policy, engineering, science, education, urban planning and renewal, business, health, justice, economics, and other related fields.
  • Tribal Public Policy: for Native American and Alaska Native students with demonstrated commitment to tribal public policy careers, including tribal sovereignty, tribal governance, tribal law, Native American education, Native American justice, natural resource management, cultural preservation and revitalization, Native American economic development, and other areas affecting Native American communities.
  • Native Health Care: for Native American and Alaska Native students with demonstrated commitment to Native Health Care careers, including health care administration, social work, medicine, dentistry, counseling, and research into health conditions affecting Native American communities, and other related fields,

Dartmouth can nominate FOUR students whose careers will benefit Indian country (the tribal policy and Native health care categories) and FOUR students whose careers will benefit the environment.



To be eligible for a Udall Scholarship, a student must:

  • Be committed to a career related to the environment, OR committed to a career in tribal public policy OR Native American health care.
    • Only Native Americans and Alaska Natives may apply in tribal public policy or Native American health care*
    • Native American students studying tribal public policy or native health do not need to demonstrate commitment to the environment
    • Likewise students pursuing environmentally related careers do not need to be Native American, nor do they need to demonstrate commitment to tribal public policy or Native health.
  • Be a sophomore or junior-level student, enrolled full-time at a two-year or four-year accredited institution of higher education in the United States, pursuing a bachelor's or associate's degree during the 2016-2017 academic year.
    • "Sophomore" is defined as a student who has completed at least one year of full-time undergraduate study and intends at least two more years of full-time undergraduate study beginning in fall 2017
    • "Junior" is defined as a student who intends at least one more year of full-time undergraduate study beginning in fall 2017
    • Students may apply for funding in both their sophomore and junior years; 3rd time applicants, however, will not be eligible
  • Meet the following requirements:
    • Have a college grade-point average of at least a "B" or the equivalent
    • Be pursuing full-time study during the 2017-2018 academic year
    • Be a US citizen, US national, or US permanent resident

*For the purposes of the Scholarship Program, a Native American or Alaska Native is any individual who is:

  • A member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the tribe or band, including any tribe or band terminated since 1940 and any tribe recognized by the state in which the tribe or band resides.
  • A descendant in first or second degree of a member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the tribe or band, who can demonstrate affiliation with the tribal community according to criteria set by the Foundation.
  • Considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose.
  • An Eskimo, Aleut, or other Alaska Native.
  • A permanent US resident who is a member of the First Nations of Canada.


 Application Process


Udall Scholarship applicants must be nominated by the Dartmouth College Committee on Graduate Fellowships. Any student wishing to be nominated should contact the Fellowship Advising Office.  Students must be registered by their institution in order to access the online application.  The following materials must be submitted to Fellowship Advising by the campus deadline of February 6, 2017:

  1. Udall Scholarship Application
  2. 800-Word Essay
  3. Official Transcript (with Fall grades). Please request an official transcript online to be sent to You can do this through the Registrar.  For any other non-Dartmouth transcripts, please request official copies to be sent to: Fellowship Advising, 6201 Parker House, Hanover, NH 03755. (NOTE: If your Dartmouth transcript shows a "TR" for study abroad or other courses, you MUST have a separate transcript for those courses. This is true even if the program originated through Dartmouth).
  4. Three Recommendation Letters
  5. Copy of tribal enrollment card or other tribal verification (if applicable)

The Committee on Graduate Fellowships will read your application materials and decide on nominations. You will be informed of your status via email.


Recommendation Letters

The 3 Recommendation Letters should be sent via email to  For more information on recommendation letters, click here.


Final Application Submission

The Fellowship Advising office will submit your final application with the Institution Nomination Form to the Morris K. Udall and Stewart L. Udall Foundation by the application deadline of March 15, 2017.


Udall Application Schedule

February 5, 2018

Campus deadline for nomination materials

March 8, 2018

Udall application deadline

April 2018

Udall Scholars Announced



Additional Information

Udall Undergraduate Scholarship Web Site

Frequently Asked Questions


Last Updated: 8/23/17