Core Values List
Each of these core values and principles embodies a set of best practices. These are presented in the following table.
- Set clear objectives for yourself and your job.
- Prioritize work to achieve goals.
- Evaluate progress toward the objectives.
- Complete tasks and meet deadlines.
- Get the job done despite obstacles and difficulties.
- Accept responsibility with a “can do” attitude.
- Prepare thoroughly for each task.
- Plan your work and anticipate potential problems.
- Follow through on tasks and assignments
- Hold yourself to high standards of performance.
- Strive to exceed goals.
- Push yourself and others to excel.
- Contribute fully to the activities of the team.
- Step in and help out other team members when needed.
- Share information and resources with team members.
- Work out conflicts directly with the person involved.
- Build a wide network of relationships throughout D&AR and the college.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Speak the truth.
- Limit personal business on the job.
- Stay focused on work rather than getting distracted by gossip.
- When problems arise, work to find solutions rather than complain.
- Speak constructively of co-workers, the job and the institution.
- Ask what the customer needs.
- Listen attentively to what others are communicating.
- Respond in a timely manner to customer requests.
- Handle even difficult customer situations with diplomacy and patience.
- Go the extra mile to serve.
- Respect personal differences and values.
- Actively seek to understand others' point of view.
- Consider other ideas open-mindedly.
- Acknowledge the needs of others.
- Respond non-defensively when others disagree with your views.
- State your own views honestly and openly.
- Delegate tasks appropriately.
- Ask for help when needed.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Carry out directions promptly.
- Make the best use of others' time as well as your own.
- Take the initiative to solve recurring problems and eliminate redundancies.
- Keep the big picture in mind.
- Look for ways to make change work rather than objecting or resisting.
- Adapt your behavior to the needs of the situation.
- Participate as a follower as well as a leader on teams.
- Adapt plans and reprioritize tasks as circumstances change.
- Use humor appropriately to encourage and energize.
- Communicate excitement and enthusiasm about the work.
- Look for ways to inject fun activities into the work place.
- Demonstrate an ability to laugh at yourself.
- Manage personal stress and stay cool under pressure.
- Challenge conventional thinking.
- Question current policies and practices when appropriate.
- Regularly review completed tasks and projects to identify opportunities to improve.
- Learn from failure and move on.
- Actively invite constructive criticism on every area of the business.
- Generate new ideas and creative approaches to problems.
- Encourage creativity in others.
- Recognize and reward innovation and calculated risk taking.
- Demonstrate a willingness to experiment.
- Pursue a unique idea or approach to get it implemented.
- Watch others for their reactions in order to pick up on the need to change.
- Ask for and act on feedback from others.
- Constantly re-evaluate your own skills and capabilities.
- Create a personal development plan.
- Use every assignment as an opportunity to learn something new.