Skip to main content
Home >  Insurance

Automobile Insurance

College Owned Vehicles

College owned or leased departmental vehicles or other licensed equipment, and the fleet of VOX rental vehicles, are to be used for College related business only and are insured for auto liability (third party bodily injury and property damage). The College is currently self-insured for comprehensive and collision coverage for its owned vehicles. The annual cost of insurance and any deductible charge in the event of an accident, along with annual registration fees, are all charged to the individual departments.

Please report any vehicle accidents, regardless of the circumstances, to the Risk and Internal Controls Services Office (see Claims Reporting).

In the case of damage to a College owned vehicles, it is the responsibility of the departments to fund the cost of the $1,000 deductible. In the case of an auto liability claim (College driver is at fault), it is the responsibility of the department to fund the cost of the $1,000 deductible as well.

Approved College Drivers

Parking and Transportation Services manages the driver approval process. For questions related to the policy please contact Driver Safety at 603-646-9876 or refer to:

Rental Car Insurance

Domestic: The College's preferred vendor is Enterprise/National Rental Service.  Insurance applies only when the vehicle is rented for College business purposes.  It is recommended that employees arrange for a rental vehicle through the College's travel service.

Trucks & Trailers: When renting a truck such as with Ryder or UHaul, the collision damage waiver (CDW) should be accepted.  This charge is reimbursable.

International: It is recommended that renters purchase any liability and collision insurance offered by the rental company. The benefit to this policy is that in the event of an accident, the claims process is handled locally.

Use of Personal Vehicle for College Business

The College does not have a formal policy for the use of personal vehicles being used for College business. Each department must formulate its own policy taking into account the need, alternatives, and the risk involved. However, the use of personal vehicles for College business is discouraged for many reasons, some of which are cited below:

  • If there is an accident, it is often difficult to determine whether an individual was on personal business, or College business.
  • The College has no knowledge of the condition of the vehicle or the expertise of the driver.
  • Employees using their personal vehicle for business should be aware that their insurance is primary. In the event of an accident, the employee would have to submit the claim to their insurance company for handling and payment and be responsible for any deductible amount.
  • Employees are required to carry a minimum amount of $100,000/$300,000 and submit proof of this coverage prior to using the personal vehicle for College business if deemed necessary by the department.

When staff and faculty use a personal vehicle for College business, their personal auto liability, comprehensive and collision insurance is always primary. Therefore, owners of personal vehicles used at any time for College business must maintain automobile liability insurance of at least $100,000/$300,000/$100,000. A portion of the mileage allowance is considered to cover the cost of gas, oil, repairs, depreciation and insurance. In the event of a liability claim, the College does provide insurance in excess of personal insurance for employees, but only in the event the driver has been approved, per the College driver approval process.


Last Updated: 1/30/12