Skip to main content


Information on this website is posted for historical reference only. Please visit the Office of the Registrar for current requirements.

[an error occurred while processing this directive] Regulations (04-test) > Undergraduate (04-test) >

Financial Aid

Scholarships, subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and employment are adminis-tered by the Financial Aid Office for the benefit of students who cannot provide the full cost of a college education through their own and their families’ reason-able efforts.

Scholarships are outright grants made to students with financial need and are offered as part of a financial aid ‘package’ that may also include subsidized loans and employment. Scholarship students continue to receive aid throughout their undergraduate years, up to a maximum of twelve terms, as long as their need con­tinues. Renewal applications must be filed each year with the Financial Aid Office. In addition to demonstrating financial need, students must make satisfactory progress toward the degree, as described fully in the Student Handbook.

Need-based College loans, Federal Perkins Loans, and both subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans through banks and other lending agencies enable the College to offer financial assistance each year to more students than could otherwise be aided.

Many employment opportunities are available to students through the Student Employment Office. These employment opportunities are for both students who are eligible for Federal Work Study and those who are not eligible.

The Financial Aid Office can refer parents to a variety of private, state, and fed­eral parent loan plans to supplement family resources and offer suggestions on other college financing options and plans. For full information on all available financial aid, inquiries should be sent to the Financial Aid Office (McNutt Hall). Additionally, current and prospective students can access financial aid information on-line at

For financial aid purposes, students are considered to be sophomores at the end of the spring term of their first year following matriculation if they have completed three terms, or whenever they have a course count of 7; to be juniors at the end of the spring term of their second year following matriculation if they have com­pleted five terms with 14 course credits, or whenever they have a course count of 17; to be seniors at the end of the spring term of their third year following matric­ulation if they have completed eight terms with 23 course credits, or whenever they have a course count of 26. For the purposes of this classification, a ‘completed term’ means a term in which the student had an enrollment pattern of R, O, X, or T and received Dartmouth credit for at least two courses. Students receiving cred­its upon matriculation will be considered to have completed one term of work if two or more credits are granted, two terms if five or more credits are granted, and three terms if eight or more credits are granted.

Students participating in the Army ROTC program are eligible to apply for Army ROTC scholarships on a competitive basis to commence during their first year. Consult the ROTC Office in Leverone Field House for additional information.